my baby is tiny... small gestational age question

we are inducing next thursday... he measures 4 lbs and 13 ounces now, almost 3lbs smaller than my first baby... i know he'll be in the nicu for a while, but i was wondering how long...i know generally babies under 2500grams are usually sent to the NICU but how long does it take to get there?

mrsmostafa

Asked by mrsmostafa at 2:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In general, NICU babies either go home around their due date (or, from personal experience, about a month later if they are micro-preemies born before 28 weeks) or go home within a few days or stay for months as term babies. I'm guessing that if your little one needs to go to the NICU, you won't be there long.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 4:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• If the baby is healthy then there is no reason for the baby to go the nicu. Just b/c baby is small is no reason. You should be able to take baby home with you. Babies generally gain 1-3 oz a day. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• and keep in mind that ultrasounds are known for being off, they estimated my DS at 8lbs 8oz at 36 weeks, he was 7lbs 9 oz born at 42 weeks
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Not always, it depends on the health of the baby, my first born was less than 5 pounds, and I was allowed to take her home after 2 days because she was healthy, some hospitals have a policy that no baby under 5 goes home until they reach that weight, others don't, why don't you call the hospital and find out.

Answer by older at 2:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My niece was only about 5 pounds when she was born, and she was in the hospital less than a week. She had actually dropped a little below 5 pounds at the time she was discharged.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My son weighed 4 lb 13 1/2 oz. when he was born. Other than being small he was perfectly healthy. He never had to go to NICU. So, your baby might not have to go to NICU. Good Luck!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

This. I believe the margin of error is 2 lbs, in either direction. Do you mind if I ask why you are being induced? Just wondering if it's because of baby's size.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Just a little info, but the ultrasound measurements are notoriously off, sometimes by a lot. Good luck with your induction :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I was induced because my baby was small and she came home 9 days later at 4lbs, 3oz. Size doesnt matter as much at them showing they can gain weight with no real concerns.
    croneasm

Answer by croneasm at 7:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2010