how do you get your kids to stop climbing in bed with you in middle of night?

I have a 7 year old, and a 2 year old (will be 3 in Dec) and they still come get in my bed EVERY NIGHT in the middle of the night. How do I break them of this????? I do not get a good nights sleep at all because they kick, roll, lay right next to me, etc. If I feel them get in bed with me I will make them go back to their rooms, but sometimes I am so exhausted I don't feel them get in there. I make both kids lay down by themselves to go to sleep, but my 2 year old daugther will get out of her bed and come get in my bed, so when I get ready to go to bed, she is already in there!! Any help?? LOL.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Straight jackets. LOL. My kids slept together ok most of the time if they were in the same bed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I use to feel like you, and now that they are gone what I would give for those uncomfortable days again!

Answer by older at 2:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I do what my mother and father did. Eventually you just have to lock the door. Once they learn sleeping on the ground outside the door whining--this parts a total heart breaker!!--is not nearly as comfortable as their bed, they stop doing it.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 2:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My boys went through this as well, and most times I'd just let them stay in bed with me. If it became really annoying I'd lay them on the floor (too tired to walk upstairs and put them to bed).
    I guess I've always known they would grow out of it and so I didn't mind, they are only young once.
    I always read them a bed time story and tucked them until my oldest was probably 11 and I know that helped my younger son (he would only climb into bed if there was storm.)
    I also use to let my older son just sleep on the couch close to my room, then we setup a bed for him off of our living room and then finally moved him upstairs. I think they do it for comfort and eventually they can comfort themselves.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Sam beds may work that did for a few of mine. the 2 year old wouldn't be an issue for me but you really can talk to you7 year old and send him/her back to bed. My 9 year old on occasion still sleeps next to me, but it isn't everynight.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010