Someone said this to me today . A person on PA rant. ( What is your opinion)

We are currently on public assistance. We havent been for long but we are in trouble. My husband went to college, had a decent job and was fired ( along with some other people) , I take care of a little boy ( with downs syndrome) during the day so that is basically our income for right now - my husband has gone on job interviews and has put in applications EVERYDAY. Meaning that we are not bums, we are not planning a life of living off of the system.

But today we went to the store we had to use food stamps & a person behind us had the nerve to ask me if her tax money was also paying for those nice clothes on my back and the hairbows in my daughters hair ... I found that sooo rude !

Since he lost his job the only "luxuries" we have bought is soap, shampoos, pull ups, etc... we havent bought clothes or toys or anything, jsut because we are on PA does that mean we HAVE to dress in dirty, torn clothing? continued...

2lilbumblebees

Asked by 2lilbumblebees at 2:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• There are a lot of people on assistance just like you - things were going great, then the loss of a job ... you are doing what you have to, ignore the ignorance. I'm sorry he was so rude to you, he had no right to judge.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My aunt does foster care, she is HELPING babies and little kids whose parents aren't able to, and she was using WIC at the grocery store (her foster children qualify for WIC) and a man told her that she needs to get a job so he doesn't have to pay to feed her kids. I was APPAULED! Her husband makes enough money to support the family, but they are generous and caring enough to open their home to help children and people say things like that. It is horrible!!!

I wish you and your family the best of luck in this tough time!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• that's terrible that someone would have the nerve to say something like that... they don't know your situation, and you shouldn't have to try and explain it either! some people just plain rude and need to keep their mouths shut >:( You are doing what you need to do to keep your family afloat, keep at it and i really hope/pray that you dh can find a job soon (((HUGS)))
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Does that mean I should stop showering and bathing my kids? I guess I should fix my daughters hair anymore either?

( sorry someone was at the door so this part is a little late)
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• unfortuneatly those people that take advantage of the system give those that really need it and use it only for necessities a bad name. Ignore the woman she most likely was venting because she knows a person like that and she ended up taking it out on you
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well, why cant your husband take care of the little boy that you babysit and you could go get a real job.... or you could start watching more kids since your husband is now home to "help"
    elainawhite80

Answer by elainawhite80 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• and that way you wouldnt have to worry about people saying that
    elainawhite80

Answer by elainawhite80 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• wow...i prob would have started crying right there....thats so mean....im embarrassed enough to use my WIC checks and my foodstamp card...dont need someone making comments like that....im so sorry that happened to you
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• People can be so ignorant and rude. The way some people are so ignorant about PA and the situations which can lead someone to needing it is crazy. They seem to think that if you have to be on PA, you've always been on it and always will, therefore you shouldn't be able to have clothing, toiletries, toys for kids, etc.

I would have probably said something like, "No my husband did before he was laid off, but they should pay for you to have some therapy and take classes on compassion and manners, since you obviously didn't learn them while you were growing up."
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Mrs.Bat -- I wish I would have said that lol
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2010