Friends for my son

My son will be 1 in a few days. Should he have friends or playmates right now. I'm a stay at home mom, and don't know many people here, so he's with me all the time. I feel bad that he doesn't know any other children his age. I don't want him to be antisocial when he's older. For his birthday it's just gonna be me and his dad. Is this wrong?

okgurl87

Asked by okgurl87 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly, for toddlers, the best recommendation for birthdays is one friend per year of age. As for making friends, you can check out programs at your local community center, look for CafeMom groups in your area, or even just go to the park to make friends. A local library might have story time for youngsters that would be another good option.

My DD has gone to park groups, church activities, and play dates, but it wasn't until closer to her second birthday that she's started doing more than coexisting.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 4:06 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I dont think its wrong. After all mama at this age is best friend! =). Maybe when he gets older find him play dates or take him to a park/playground.
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Meet up is a good way to find play groups. I like play group for me. it's nice to meet other moms and make friends for the adults too!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Personally, I don't think a 1yo needs friends.  Kids that young don't usually play with each other anyway.  They will play next to each other but won't share or join in.  My kids only ever had each other growing up.  And my oldest only had me until her baby brother was big enough to play with (when she was about 2).  They are all normal, well adjusted kids with lots of friends.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010