Starting your Child In K before They are 5

Most states but not all have a law stating that your child cannot begin K unless they are 5 before Sept. 1 or Oct. 1st, but there are a few that allow it to go as late a Dec. 31st. As an educator I find this a very difficult issue. Why? because many moms that I have come into contact with in my teaching experience has not thought of their child's abilities (socially or intellectually) before starting them in K before the age of 5. They use it as free daycare even when their child is NOT ready. I do believe some kids can handle it but many cannot. Boys especially struggle in this area. What are your thoughts on this topic?

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• my DS made the cutoff to go to k this year, Nov 25 for a Dec 1 cutoff. We had hoped to get him into our districts young 5's program but he did not get a spot, so we kept him in the pre k program at his childcare center for another year. I know he is a very bright kid, but he was not emotionally/socially prepared for the expectations of k, and I didn't want to start out his school experience with a bad year
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My son turned 5 September 9. I was worried about starting him and held him back. I figure it's better to be the oldest in the class than the youngest.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think if they are not 5 by time school starts they should have to undergo standardized testing to see if they are ready.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My nephews were the same way. They live in CT and the cutoff is Dec. 31st. They have Nov. Bdays and both were huge strides ahead of the learning curve but socially they were not ready. K is so intense these days. It isn't what it was when we were little. Kids are expected to learn what we learned in 1st and 2nd grades. Some 1st graders are reading Charolette's Web in my town! When my nephew started K almost @ age 6 he came home and said, "Mom, I can't believ how much we have to SIT stil it's sooo hard." He isn't even a super active kid. This brings me to another connection being made. They are finding that the overdiagnosis of ADHD is a result of starting our kids too young. They can't sit or focus and therefor they are assumed to be ADHD when in fact they are just too young to be there.
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• We pushed our DD ahead. Her bday is Oct. 10 and the cut off was Sept. 15. We had her tested by the school and by an independent psychologist. All thought that she was ready. She is turning 11 this year in the 6th grade and you cannot tell the difference between her and her classmates either physically or emotionally. I do believe that she is the exception more than the rule. Had it been one of my boys, I would have held him back as they were barely ready at 5.5, never mind 4.5.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I Have have a son who started 15 days after his 5th birthday. In missouri the cut off is July 31st and that is his birthday. But he has done great he is now in 1st and reading at a 2nd grade level. But I do agree not all kid are ready. Im sure more often mom is ready for them to go.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think you are safe martinmommy..I think july 31st is a little bit over doing it on the other end....
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well Kindergarden shouldnt be used as a free daycare thats just headed for disaster. I think if your child is ready then send them. Any mother can tell if her child is ready for Kindergarden or not and if you know they are not ready then don't screw up their life keep them out a year.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My son will start when he is 5. He turns 5 in May and starts in Sept for kindegarten. He is more than ready. 3 years of preschool and that includes being in pre-k this year. I know more parents are holding their young 5 year olds back a year. We will not be doing that.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Mom2just1...you shouldn't hold him..he is born well before the cut off..i'm speaking of kids born closert to sep and oct
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2010