my 10 yr old always has a dirty bottom. adult content

he is terrible at wipeing. I have shown him many times and he still doesnt do it. My daughter who is 16 watches my two children when I am at work. I work a 7pm to 7am shift. So, she gives my youngest his bath and tries to wash the 10yr old hair and bottom..He fights her everytime. I have gone as far as not washing his dirty underpants so when he needs a new pair they are all dirty.

He will not fight me when I clean his bottom, but he knows that he will get spanked if he does. My question is? Do I give his sister permission to spank or do I just let it go until I can wash him myself? I work 4 12 hr shifts a week so I see them little during the school year

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Why is ANYONE still giving him a bath? Especially his sister?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Does he have a medical issue?
    BradenIsMySon

• By 10 my boys were bathing on their own, up until a year ago my younger son had some issues with washing his hair and cleaning his body. He was one of those that thought standing in the water was enough. I got on him a lot about this, I told him if he didn't start washing himself I would sit and watch him until I knew he was clean. I also had my husband go in and show him a few different times.
    I had his older brother talk to him about it as well. Eventually he realized what he needed to do.
    I don't think you need to continue washing him, he will figure it out, but he will probably need a little pushing, continual reinforcement. I don't think its appropriate for his sister to wash him at 10, but that's just my opinion - it could be why he's fighting her.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• there is no medical issue. I'm a RN and he is a healthy boy. He is very lazy at certian things. We are constantly reminding him to brush his teeth, comb his hair. If it is a video game, playing a sport, there is no problem. I've talked to him about being embrassed once he starts going into the locker room when he gets old an having a smelly bottom or dirty underpants but it doesn't faze him.

He is just being stubborn. That is why I am considering allowing his sister to administer a couple smacks on his bottom when he fights her. I've told him that he is to old to be given a bath by his sister but as long as his bottom is dirty and he will not clean properly, then he is still getting a bath like his younger brother. Thankfully she is mature enough to not humiliate him but he does push her beyond her limits
    SueM48415

Answer by SueM48415 at 3:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No, don’t have his sister spank him doesn’t seem right to me. Give him a strong warning that he not bathing and washing properly you will pack away his video games or any other things he loves until her show signs of improvement on proper hygiene.  GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have done the video thing and also tv time and computer time. Tonight I tried something different. When he got home from school, I took him in the bathroom and checked his underpants. They were clean but I told him this will happen everyday for a week and if he can prove to me he will keep himself clean then he can start taking his bath or shower on his own,. IF not, I will give him a bath before I go to work and will scrub his backside everytime. Then he will get in his pajamas and there will be no outside play time.
    SueM48415

Answer by SueM48415 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think I would let natural consq. rule the day. Explain that he is too old and his sis is no longer his bath police. He knows how to clean himself it is up to him. The kids at school will soon let him know he stinks and the rash and itch will come into play. This is a power struggle nothing more. I would call and let teacher know what is going on and that you have given him control of his cleanliness. (This is so family services aren't called)
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• That boy needs to learn to wash himself. He will figure it out when he's scratching down there. Good lord, he's 10! For sure don't let him stink, maybe embarrass him by watching him wash but this does sound like a power struggle.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Tell him to did it himself and spank him when you get home if he didnt.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:15 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I think having your daughter bathe him is a bit much. he may have to learn the hard way though. Just let him be dirty for a while.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:58 AM on Sep. 25, 2010