For experienced Mom's of Pre-schoolers a question?

My Son is 3 turning 4 late Oct. He has been in Preschool 2 wks. 3 days a week. He has never been to any type of daycare. I was recommened by the Director to put him into the 4 yr. old program. He goes in willingly and comes out with a big smile. I was called on the side today by the Teacher saying that he has a hard time "transitioning" from one project to another. He wants to finish one thing before he moves on to the next. He is "frustrating" some other children because he won't listen and it is causing the children to "alienate" him. I come to find out that all the other children in the class have been attending this school for 2,3 & now 4 yr. programs. They recommend now he go into the 3 year old program which is only 2 days a week. I think the Teacher just does not want to take the extra time with a child with no prev. experience in school. What do you think? Does this sound right for a Preschool?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds like they don't want to take the time to help him with whatever he seems to be having trouble with.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Gave you a bump.

But I don't know the answer to your question. Your son may actually benefit from going to the 3 year old class. He's not used to being around other kids (well not saying you never did playdates or anything, but you know what I mean) so right now he's probably confused by the structure.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Ok, so I'm guessing that the 4 year old program has 4 year olds that are going into kindergarten next year? If so, your son probably isn't ready for that. Because his birthday is in October, he won't be starting starting kindergarten for 2 more years, so he should be with other kids who won't be starting kindergarten for 2 more years.

My oldest was born just 3 days after the cut-off for kindergarten, so even though he is 5, he's in his 3rd year of preschool. I feel bad because he's actually in the same class as his younger sister (our school doesn't split up by age like yours), but there's nothing I can do about it because of his birthday.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 2:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Honestly, I don't think "no prior experience" is an excuse to not listen in school.  My youngest dd started preschool at 3 1/2 and listened just fine in school, sat quietly and paid attention.  It was her first year of school.  My other girls went to preschool the first time at 4 and 5 and they never had trouble behaving, either.

If the teacher has to take special time to dea; with just your child that takes away from the other kids.  If he can't handle the work then he should be put in a different class.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would find a new preschool.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The cut off in my District in Dec. 31st. My point is that it seems since all the other children did the other programs, 2,3 & now 4 year old, that they know the drill and since my Son has no prior experience with school, they seem to not want to spend any extra time with just him. So theoretically he is supposed to Start Kidergarten next Sept. So I guess I will be holding him back. It just doesn't seem fair that just because these other kids have prior school experince & he doesn't that he has to stay back??? My question is, is this common in other Preschools??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It's not a matter of him not being able to handle the work. He actually knows more than most of the other children. The teacher remarked at how smart he is & was surprised that he never went to a previous school. It is just that he likes to finish a project before moving on to the next. I did not realize that was a bad thing. He has excellent concentration and memory abilities. The problem seems to be the structure and I do think Boys are different then girls. I am putting him in the 3 year old program but I really think he will be bored and it will not be stimulating enough for him. Isn't that what Preschool is for, teaching structure. I Just think they don't want to put in extra effort so he learns that. I also think that children with siblings may adapt better as well. he is my only child.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2010