food causing autism?

We saw our mostly typical daughter change into a typical autistic child but it happened slowly so it was more like one day she was tantruming for hours on end as usual and she wouldn't make eye contact, then I realized I couldn't remember the last time she did. Well when I aproached our ped, she said no no no so I hit the net and started an addative free diet first and in days she changed for the better now her vocabulary grows in leeps and bounds and skilles I wondered if she would ever have seem to be peeping through.
So was it the food? I know some believe food can cause autism but you don't hear alot about it.

Angie430

Asked by Angie430 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Food can cause behavior issues. haven't heard of it causng autism but if you've found something that works stick with it.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I read before that making sure your kid gets omega 3 (like in fatty fish) can help them, and you can give them supplements of this. It might not be the food causing her to be like that, but that she was missing something in her diet.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I have absolutely no idea but I do know that for a while now I have seen pictures of your precious daughter. She used to seem to be a shy little girl that didn't want to smile at the camera and now I see her smile everywhere. She LOOKS different which makes me pretty sure she is feeling different. To me, if it is working then stick with it cause that beautiful little girl is worth it!!! Again, I'm proud of you for taking these steps to do what's best for your little girl...
    3bs

Answer by 3bs at 8:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I believe there is something in some foods that can do that. A friend of mine had to kids like that and she changed their diets to everything organic and saw a major change in them. So your daughter could have been missing something in her diet as well.. Keep me posted.
    lexinzack03

Answer by lexinzack03 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• food can cause behavior issues - my dd goes from decent and polite to heathen after even a piece of candy - so we dont give her any and she is an angel-
    maybe she was alergic to something in the foods that arent typical allergins but still strike kids
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• MSG along with wheat products and refined sugars are very bad for kids and it does affect their behaviors. MSG is the worst! it is a nuero toxin that stimulates the brain and it can lead to brain damage in an unborn baby. Why do you think learning/behavior problems are skyrocketing? Our food is not as pure as it once was. Gluten and caisens are bad for autistic/asperger children/adults because they have different digestive tracks and get "stopped up" very easy.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2008