Is school becoming dumbed down?

My daughter is still too young for school, but I'm wondering what you all think.

Is the education system becoming dumbed down in order for more kids to pass?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 2:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• As an experienced inner city teacher that is exactly wha is going on. I know the suburban schools arent this way. When I worked in a MS and more than 1/2 the kids were failing the principla asked us who we thought would benefit from repeating the year. If we thought otherwise they would push ethem along because of the lack of space to hold everyone back. The sad part is if they actually ade it to their Sr. year without dropping out they'd have to pass a intentense exam to obtain their HS diploma. Soo sad.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think so...My nephew graduated and he can't write an essay without spelling and grammer mistakes. I think inner-city school especially are just pushing them out without a care.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Yes, and it's been happening slowly over the past several generations.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Yes, they dumb it down so no one feels left out.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

Would this be considered to be the "None Left Behind" program?
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I dont think so. Kids are learning things now before I was ever tought them. Kids are learning Algebra in 6th to 7th grade and I wasnt able to take that class untill I was in high school.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• More kids aren't graduating. There is a huge problem with kids dropping out. I think kids are starting "school" too young. There are parents that are sending their 18 mo to "school". All of the Head Start programs and pre-schools aren't helping kids be better learners by the time they are in middle and high school. Kids get burned out on school because of starting so young. I think one solution that would save a lot of money would be to start school at middle school level and strongly discourage school any earlier. Parents would be upset because they would have to pay for child care.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My question would be....
    Is it the quality of teachers that has went down of the quality of student?
    In other words are the teachers caring less because of thier lack of pay and other things and therefor kids are passing easier or are the kids now days so concerned about video games, socializing and sports that they just arent learning
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I work at a community college and I am going to have to say YES. The students I see some through here are just a shame. I can't believe they even came close to graduating. It makes me very sad. But I know not all of them end up this way. Parental involvement has more to do with it than anything else, at least in my opinion.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 5:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My odd is in first grade. The ditrict we are in actually begins to seperate them academically now so they are in the right learning group. I do believe however that school ha changd dramatically since Bush instated the no child left behind law.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010