FDA considers revoking approval of Avastin for advanced breast cancer

Yes, it's expensive, do you think they should do it to save money as they are considering?

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If the drug is only being used as a last resort with minimal additions to life expectancy,I would say keep the drug available to only those who request it and can pay for it. No insurance provider should have to pay for this drug IMO. We are all going to die one day,whether it be from cancer or something else. I can't say that the medical profession has done us any favors by creating such a huge geriatric population. It's all perceptive I suppose, which is why I say the choice should be left to the patient.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Cost should NOT be a consideration. I see that effectiveness IS a consideration too.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• So whats effective and who decides?
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The drug is really just a last ditch effort to prolong life in patients who chose it and can afford it, the side effects if and when they occur are also life threatening and provide a horrible way to die. No stave fro sure from dying from the primary cancer. Ultimately, the doctors will decide whether or not to give it to a patient, if a patient simply asks for it that does not mean they will get it. They can only request it when offered as an alternative treatment to what they are currently under. It's sad, but it's reality. The real problem and solution lies with what the drug manufacturer admits-The price is necessary to pay for continual research to perfect the drug and continue to do reasearch in other drugs with angiogenesis inhibiting characteristics.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• So whats effective and who decides?

Therein lies the question .
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Rescinding the approval isn't going to save the FDA any money, and it isn't likely to save the government any money, either.

Who decides if it is effective? The advisory panel at the FDA, based on the follow-up studies provided by the drug manufacturer. that is part of the deal with these fast-track drugs. There have to be follow up studies and a review of the approval based on the outcome of the follow up studies. In this case, there isn't any data to prove that the use of the drug is prolonging life or increasing quality of life. That's what the FDA will base their decision on. Not money.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 8:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It's only too expensive if it's someone else that's dying.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-24/roche-s-avastin-is-under-ema-review-on-breast-cancer-update2-.html

There are questions as to its safety and effectiveness and since it is a "drug of last resort" anyway, do we really NEED it?It can be a drug for all types of cancer too---not just breast cancer. I don't think the COST has anything to do with it. You know that HIV-AIDS drugs are horribly expensive but they DO WORK! The issue is WILL AVastin work? ANd is it safe?
    READ the Link
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/15/AR2010081503466.html
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Good point, Gertie! I think that women's health issues tend to get placed on the back burner too often. Many other medications are very expensive but are covered, like my Grandfather's gleevec for leukemia or my cousin's M.S. medications.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010