Have you ever dozed off while your toddler was awake?

What happened if you have?
Do you think a person is a bad parent if they doze off?
I was just wondering cause I have done it before and my Husband was like oh how could you fall asleep while they are up!?!?
He did it yesterday while I was out having private time for me..... My toddler tore the house up and his dad did not hear it...... I mean I don't know what I am really getting at in this I guess have you ever done it and what happened. I mean like not one parent has ever dozed off while their kids were up...... right....? Or am alone here?

(I have a 17 month old and a 2 month old) I GET TIRED LOL

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have.  My kids just watch TV.  My youngest dd is 4 now and I take naps on purpose.  I just tell her to behave and turn the TV on for her and go to my room to nap.  Been doing that since she was 3.  When she was a baby I'd leave her to be watched by the older kids who were 4 and 5.  If she started crying or got into anything they would come get me (I was in the next room).  Worked for us.  My kids cause more trouble when I'm awake than when I'm sleeping.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• This can be a problem for single moms because no one ever has your back even if you are very sick. What you can do is make one room very child safe and then both of you go in that room. If you fall asleep then there is much less chance of anything going wrong.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have. My kids never did anything but play quietly or watch TV.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I did when my first was 2.5 and I was having severe nausea from morning sickness. He would watch TV and I would be in same room on couch. Luckliy he was not as active as my second and stayed in the room with me. I didn't fall asleep intentionally but dozed off now and again
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have, but it's not often cause it's hard for me to fall asleep when something is gone on, kwim? But usually not much. He just watches TV or plays.

DH on the other hand... he's flat out fallen asleep while watching him. Nothing dangerous has happened, however he has woken up to find his deskchair covered in food, drink or lotion, or has found food or drink on the floor in the kitchen, and sometimes other messes. Not all the time of course, but it's happened. But as long as that's the worst of it, I'm not worried.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have fallen asleep with my kids around. I am a very light sleeper, so nothing major has ever happened.The times I could tell I was too tired to stay awake, I would put a movie on and doze while my daughter watched the show.
    jillybean703

Answer by jillybean703 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have, but Samuel is pretty good about it when that happens..especially when he sees i'm not feeling well.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 3:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have fallen asleep as well, but my daughter didn't do anything, she just stayed in her room and played. If she got into anything I would have heard her as I am a very light sleeper.
    Becca1189

Answer by Becca1189 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think it's okay to take a quick nap while the kids are awake if your in the same room and sleeping lightly. I did have a friend however that had her 4 kids taken away by child protective services because she fell asleep and the kids went outside and wandered the neighborhood. And there was also a woman in my town that fell asleep and her daughter went ouside and drowned in the pool. So keep your doors locked for sure.
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 3:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have but both of my kids were watching tv and I wake up when I hear them so nothing went wrong. And they can't get into anything or outside.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2010