What would you do if you were in this situation...

What would you do if you were a stay-at-home mom of a preschooler and an infant, your family had only 1 car that your husband took to work everyday (and required for work so taking him to work wasn't an option), there is no bus line nearby, your family was extremely strapped financially (who isn't nowadays), you live in a rural area and your neighborhood had no other stay-at-home moms and you rarely saw your neighbors, you have NO friends as prior to becoming a SAHM you were a workaholic and the places you worked at were 20 miles from where you live (so friends from work did not stay in touch), and you have no family living nearby to help or provide social contact or a break from the kids? This is not hypothetical or a research study. I'm politely asking for serious replies with your perspective on what you would do in this situation. I can't see the forest for my trees anymore so I'm reaching out. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Health

• join a moms group
    have you checked meetup.com?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Many moms are in similar situations and always have been. Take care of your kids and your house, read, do stuff on the computer, develop hobbies, do stuff outside with the kids. Do things with the car when you can. Have fun on the weekends or other days your husband has off. Learn to manage your stress. Consider moving. Consider getting a $300 car. I bought a $300 station wagon and it lasted 4 years with no repairs.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Although I am not as secluded as it sounds like you are, I know a portion of what you're going through. My only social interaction with adults is Sunday mornings at church. It can be rough in the week!

My biggest issue was never leaving the house. I bought a jogging stroller and the girls, the dog, and I go on a walk in the mornings just to get out of the house.

Also, do you know about Skype? My sister lives in Spain, and we use Skype to keep in contact with her. It's free and all you need is a webcam and you can talk live to each other right then and there.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Please add me I know EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL ADD ME ADD ME ADD ME I CAN TALK TO YOU ALL ABOUT IT AND MAYBE WE CAN BECOME GREAT FRIENDS !
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Does your husband have a day off when you can have the car? Do you have a larger town near you? Do you have a faith of any kind?
    What are your interests?
    The reason I'm asking these questions is so I can have a better idea of how to answer your question. I will check back later to see if you have answered them...... Thank you Joette
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 3:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• OPRAH WINFREY NETWORK: "Do Your Kids Have a Workahloic Parent?"

Do you or your spouse work way too much?
    Are your children always complaining that you or your spouse are never home or available?
    Are your kids not getting what they need? Is the guilt becoming too much?

OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network is looking for families in the Los Angeles area with children up to the age of 17 to take part in a new television show about working parents trying to manage their busy lives. We are interested in talking to people who find it a challenge to maintain a healthy balance between their family and work lives. If this describes your family, please contact us right away.

To tell us your story, please visit:
    http://www.oprah.com/own/plug_form2.html?plug_id=4394728
    OWNcasting

Answer by OWNcasting at 5:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I do know how you feel. I used to feel the same way. However, I have learned to look at the bright side of things. These days with your children, you will never get back. Enjoy every day. Find fun things to do with your kids....crafts, walks, picnics outside or in the living room, watch movies, color, play cards and board games.
    For yourself- Make friends online via facebook and cafemom, join a moms group, find a hobby that makes you happy and spend time doing it, paint your nails, experiement with your hair and makeup.
    There are so many things that can be done to have fun.
    I understand missing social interaction but honestly, it's not all that it is cracked up to be.
    Does your Husband have any days off? Even if it is just one day a month, ask him to give you a day to yourself. That can be your day to get out and recharge. It will make you feel so much better.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You can't go to the gym....join a mommy group? A coffee group? Have the nanny taken them for a stroll?
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 4:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2010