How do you get rid of cockroaches without spending a lot of money? I'm afraid for my 1 yr old daughter!!!

I have recently discovered that we have cockroaches living in our home. I've killed at least two so far, but know there's probably more. I've also read on several sites that they help promote childhood Athsma, so I'm very scared for my daughter who's just over a year old.

jvann1

Asked by jvann1 at 3:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have used this product for years in every home and never had a problem.
    Combat brand Roach bait for Roaches. It comes in what looks like a GIANT syringe.
    You apply it by inserting the tip deep against the wall and carpet at the base boards, past the pad. Inject about a half and inch of product every 10 or so feet. If you do not have carpet, loosen the base boards and inject behind the base boards. Dont forget the cracks and such under the sinks, and baseboards under the kitchen counters. I love this stuff. If you properly apply it behind baseboards and behind the cracks in carpets and such, the babies and pets have NO ACCESS to it so it wont pose a threat to the family.
    Good luck
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 4:15 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• If you are looking for something non-toxic, you can try bay leaves, garlic, and also something called diatomaceous earth(it's a powder and kills anything with an exo-skeleton), and it's not harmful to humans. It can be found at places like Ace Hardware and Home Depot.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 6:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Boric Acid. You can find it at Dollar General/Family Dollar. Becareful it is poison to humans, so only use it in places where you know kids & pets cant get to.
    mrschrono

Answer by mrschrono at 7:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Not sure of chemicals or sprays, but make sure ou clsoe up any food that has been opened, dispose of food that was left over from dinner, keep the house clean, these things are what roaches feed off of. If you don't feed them then they will leave like bad house guests.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 8:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Call the exterminator.
    ellaura

Answer by ellaura at 11:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• i have to agree call an exterminator...
    hailsmama

Answer by hailsmama at 11:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• if you can aford it i would get an exterminator - but from my experience living in florida you will need him to come every 3 months for cockroaches,
    are they the big brown ones about an inch and 1/2 long? or are they light brown kind of seethrough and a little under an inch long?
    the reason i ask is because the small ones are food roaches - you will have them if you have crumbs on the floor or crumbs in your cabinets **my advise is to do a super clean on your home whichever roach you have - but certainly if you have the small ones you should take everything out of your kitchen cabintes and clean out the shelves and clean out any pantry you have and be very very thorough when doing this - clean under your fridge and oven and make sure your kitchen floor doesnt have crumbs on it -
    the big ones are harder to kill -
    but an exterminator and a very deep clean of your home for sure need to be done *you can always see if one treatment by the exterminator will get
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• get an exterminator and make sure they spray inside and outside your home. Tell them you have a child and they can use non toxic products. Roaches are difficult to get rid of on your own...get professional help.

1funkymomma

Answer by 1funkymomma at 4:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I have just been through hell getting rid of cockroaches because my son has asthma and his wheezing got really bad in the last 2 weeks after we moved into a new apartment building.

Check out www.I-Hate-Cockroaches.com which is a guide written by a mom. It worked for me without having to call an exterminator or using toxic products.
    smallwendy

Answer by smallwendy at 1:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2009