I have been nursing my 5wk old during the day and bottle feeding him formula at night..now it seems as though he gets frustrated when he drinks from the bottle,he has difficulty latching on to the bottle..what do I do?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like he may be confused. It may be the bottle nipple is too different from you. I alternated at night also and Playtex bottles/nipples worked best for us. But that was 15 years ago and there are so many new products out now. You may want to give careful thought to which nipple would be best. You can really only tell by trying different ones. I hope this helps some. Congratulations on the little one : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Breastfeed! Breastfeed! Breastfeed!! By introducing formula you are setting yourself up for failure. Drop that junk, it sounds as though baby definitely agrees with that, and solely breastfeed.

Anonymous

• It is so much easier to breastfeed at night! Roll over, lift shirt. You don't even need to get up! You may want to give it a try! If not there is some really helpful info on bottlefeeding a breastfed baby at http://www.lowmilksupply.org/bottles.shtml and suggested bottle nipples at http://www.lowmilksupply.org/nipples.shtml
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Your baby is getting nipple confusion from going between the bottle and the nipple so much. If it were me I would ditch the bottle and the formula. At least try and ditch the formula and pump your milk so that your supply doesn't start diminishing. They also make alot of bottle nipples specifically for those that are also breastfeeding. But again if it were me I would ditch the bottle entirely.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 9:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Are you feeding him formula just so you can sleep more at night? Breast milk is the best thing for your baby and unless your supply is short, there is no reason that he/she needs formula. I read in a book that breastmilk has 100 different nutrients that formula cannot provide.
    purecity

Answer by purecity at 10:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• We did the same thing for our baby... breastfeed during the night and formula for the night time feedings. And unlike what the pp's have said it had no affect on my supply... I make WAY too much as it is. Anyway... try the breastflow bottles they are great and with my baby the latch seems the same as when he breastfeeds.
    With my baby we gave formula because he was a terrible breastfeeder when he was sleepy but would take a bottle well... so it's what we did. And rather than taking twice as long... daddy would feed and I would pump.
    Now my baby is 3 months old and sleeps through the night and is a much better breastfeeder, even when sleepy...
    I don't know the reasons you are giving formula at night, but it's not a big deal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• it does sound like nipple confusuion. i have to supplement formula sometimes. try using a nipple like your own like the soothie its made from the same material as the soothie binkie you get from the hospital, which i use and she doesnt get confused or breastform which you can get from babiesrus. hope that helps.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 11:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Why would you want to formula feed at night if you are nursing during the day? Breastfeeding is so much easier, and despite what anyone tells you, supplementing WILL severely reduce your supply. Sounds like your baby isn't into the formula anyway. He knows what he wants and needs, so give it to him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Breastfeed that baby, its a wise baby that refuses formula!!! Why give him inferior food when you have the BEST right there??
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2008