Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

How much would you pay for non licenced in home child care?

If you knew the person and they were trained in CPR. Im not meaning just dropping of at a random strangers home and paying them. But a fair price for a good friend or family member.

Answer Question

Asked by martinmommy26 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 16 (2,752 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • It would all depend on the average rate of a licensed provider. In my area licensed home providers are $150-175 a week, so I would expect to play less for unlicensed care

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • Over the summer and on days off at school I take my son to a non-lic. girl with 3 children (1 special needs, so she is cpr certified and trained for emergency situations). She charges $80 a week, or $20 a day and she includes lunch and snack. And lunch is not just a sandwich and a bag of chips, they have lasagna and chicken with pasta. Good healthy food. I love her!

    Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • I used to babysit for my friends and charge them 25 a day for 8-9 hrs. If was only one child.

    Answer by sweetyazfl at 3:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • I live near Atlanta GA and I pay $100.00 per week. She is not licensed but she was a director of a daycare before she started keeping children in her home.

    Answer by chefronswife at 3:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • How many children and what hours? When I was leaving mine with a neighbor/friend, she charged $2/hour for one kid and I provided all diapers/wipes and food, etc. I think that was fair, since she wasn't really being put out (she had kids of her own and was a SAHM).

    When I was looking around for childcare options for two kids after my second was born, the going rate around here seemed to be $80-120/week per kid for in-home providers who make a business of it (regardless of certification), sometimes with a slight discount for a second child.

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • i wouldnt pay as much as licensed. but if she knows cpr and her house is clean and she isnt mean then go for it

    Answer by swaney06 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • I would all depend on the going rate in your area. You can then cut the price for knowing them and them being unlicenced.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • We're paying $75 per week. That's what we were paying a licensed provider for part time care before we switched (our original provider went out on maternity leave, then got a different job). She worked as a nurse until she quit to watch her grandkids full time. It does make me feel a LOT better knowing that she's a nurse. We provide diapers, wipes, snacks and breakfast. She says it's easiest for her to fix the same lunch for all of the kids, so I don't send her with lunch every day (though once in a while I do send enough of something for all of the kids). We do also still pay her any time I have paid time off work. So she ends up with 8 paid holidays per year plus the 3 weeks I've got of vacation.

    Answer by coder_chick at 6:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • Half the going rate for a licensed day care in your area.

    Answer by science_spot at 8:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • The lady that keeps our kids is unlicensed, and I pay her $160 a week for my 4 year old (includes all meals and snacks). My baby is almost 8 months old, and I have a job where I can work from home 2 days a week. I keep the baby with me on those days so the sitter only watches the baby 3 days a week, and she charges me $27 per day for the baby. Once she gets to the point where I can't work with her at home with me, then I'll pay the sitter more per day.

    Answer by Journey311 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
job fairs

Next question overall (Toddlers (1-2))
Diaper rash