would you allow your 6 year and 9 year old to watch your 19 month old outside?

the yard is not fenced in and the dad yelled at the 6 yerar old the other day because she was supose to be watching her brother and he was 2 houses up in their back yard. Today she is doing the same thing. I wouldn't allow it and even if I did allow it I think the first time I would know that they weren't old enough. Would you allow your 9 and 6 year old to watch the 19 month old outside?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• children watching children...... That doesnt make sense to me Im not sure why some parents allow that. So my answer is NO!!!!!
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Only if I was right inside and kept glancing out the window.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Nope. I don't think either age is responsible enough to watch a younger sibling. My child would have to be in his early teens to watch a 19 month old.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• not in a non-fenced yard, that is just too many dangers for me. i let my 7yo and 3yo and 18mo outside in the back yard together by themselves but ONLY for small periods of time and only if i'm right in the kitchen (closest to back door) making dinner and i check on them constantly :P our yard IS fenced but my 18mo ds is too smart for his own good and knows how to open the gate if he really tiptoes so i don't let them play out there alone often (we also live right on a busy street).
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• depends on the child. I can send my 9 year old outside and she will be the first to let me know what is going on (and I mean even if it is nothing serious). I am always right inside and always glancing out the window, but she will still let me know, so I think it really depends on their responsibility level, cause my 8 year old son and daughter...no, I wouldn't dare
    motherof4and2

Answer by motherof4and2 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• no, if the yard was fenced and I needed to run in the house to go potty or something maybe but not for any period of time longer than it would take me to go to the bathroom or grab something and come right back.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i also have a non fenced in yard that my children play in my youngest is 3 & in now way shape or form do i put the responsibility of watching him on his two older brother aged 7 & 8...however they do help alot with keeping an eye on him even if im right there they still feel the need to "help" mommy watch the lil guy...it''s not a bad idea to let them keep an eye on them while u r there or if u run in just for a moment...to help teach responsibility...but keep im mind the attention span of a 6 year old child is about the same as a 19 month old child and they could both end up in serious danger...
    hiswifey0725

Answer by hiswifey0725 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Nope.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• When I go to a friends house her kids watch my 2 yo while they are outside playing 10, 8 and 4 (they have been doing this since she was 12 mos old). If they want to do something more like wander into the woods they bring her back inside otherwise it is a large yard with plenty of space and no chance of something happening. BTW her 10 yo comes to help me out with my DD and takes her outside at my home w/o supervision. She is incredibly responsible and I plan on letting her have a few more responsibilities. I really think it depends on the responsibility level of the child. If the child isn't responsible then no if they are then yes.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010