• In the Spotlight:

I am A first time mom. My son is 18 months and wants to feed himself. How do I get him to stop putting too much food in his mouth? He keeps gagging and spitting it out all over the floor the he doesn't want to eat? My liitle angle is hard headed. :)

lincsmom74

Asked by lincsmom74 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he "insists" on having lots on his tray, make sure that its in very small pieces.

-or- try to conceal the supply of food

-or- do the feed me-feed you thing (where you try to get him to give you a bite, then feed himself a bite)

my son is a cheek-squirreler. he'll have all sorts of stuff shoved in those chubby cheeks, so i feel ya!
    sunnykate

Answer by sunnykate at 10:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• um, i would suggest not to give him so much at a time..then he wouldnt have much to shove in his lil mouth =)
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I tried that then he cries because he thinks thats all he's getting. :)
    lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• give him a smaller spoon?
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I would be strict about only giving him one piece at a time until he can learn not to stuff his mouth. He may get mad, but it's for his own safety.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• finger foods !!!!
    imbabyboo2u

Answer by imbabyboo2u at 2:06 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Just let him. My daughter does the same. SHe'll grab a handfull and shove it in. After a few gags, she learned to spit half of it back out! But she still shoves it all in at first. Silly kids. :) Plus the tips above are great.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i would suggest giving him something mushy or something that would disolve like puffs or peas so that way he might not gag until he stops putting it all in... my daughter does the same thing...because she loves goldfish and i have to only give her a few...lol kids are so funny! :)
    ManderInOrange

Answer by ManderInOrange at 4:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2008