Which situation would bother YOU more?

(This type of thing came up in a conversation I had with someone earlier today.)

Background information:
You are in college and your SO is working full-time. You have a child. Money is VERY tight. You have to put off paying bills, be careful that you don't spend too much on food for yourself so your family can eat well, you've cut out every luxury that you can, etc.

Situation 1: You sign up for assistance to ease some of the financial burden until you get your degree and find work (or you SO gets a good raise, etc.).
OR
Situation 2: You don't get assistance, but you end up owing everyone you know money at some time or another because you don't have money for food, gas, bills, etc.

For me, I think that constantly having to borrow money from friends and family would bother me so much more than getting $50-$100 a month in food stamps or something (I know some people get more or less, that's just a random number I picked out).

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 3:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would do everything I could not to have to do either but if it came down to it, I would go on a ssistance because A) I have worked since I was 15 and so I have paid my fair share into it and B) I don't like people knowing any of my business and especially my financial business, so I would not want to borrow simply because they would know.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think it would bother me more to owe everyone I know money rather than get assistance. I would rather cut back my class load to get a PT time job to help my family which is exactly what I did when we were in the same situation.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'd either get a PT job or if that was not feasible, a school loan. If a PT job, school loan and cutting the budget still meant that I was short on funds every month, then I would consider applying for PA, but only for as short of a term as possible.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It would bother me more to owe so many people money and not knowing when I would be able to pay them back. So I would get on assistance I mean that is what it is there for.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Both would bother me, but situation 1 would bother me a lot less than owing people money. I would also be looking for some scholarships to help pay for school =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would try everything to not have to get assistance but if it comes down to it and its either be on the street or get assistance I would go get assistance.
    rachelirene2005

Answer by rachelirene2005 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would take the assistance. I was on wic for both of my children because I was the primary money maker and I didn't make much money. There was no shame in it when I bought my formula and my baby was fed!
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• go for the assistance...i couldnt let my family live that way. i would do ANYTHING for my family and that includes assistance whether your for it or not. i wouldnt know how to get myself out of the whole if i owed family and friends money, i just couldnt do that to them. my sister did that, she borrowed a couple thousand from me and hubby even when things were tight for us, she borrowed money from my mother, stepdad, MIL,and hubby's uncle.

well you could basically say that she didnt BORROW money from all of us...she took it, kept it and never paid anyone back. till this day, she still has a hard time finding money for gas, bills, ect. she even has 3 kids. nobody will ever BORROW money to her again because she screwed herself by not paying anyone back and now she has no one to go to.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Situation 1 would bother me more.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Situation 2 would bother me more. I would see about getting grants and/or scholarship money and then go the assistance route.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010