Question about military balls...

For the ball that's coming up, is it tacky to wear a formal dress that is cocktail length? It hits about an inch or two below the knee and is strapless. Or should I stick with a traditional length dress?

marine_wife0520

Asked by marine_wife0520 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• At our usmc military balls... we have them in Vegas. We are so close that they always host it there.. we can wear those length dresses. I think it is no real difference from people wearing the short prom or pageant dresses. But your base might be different on the matter.. You could go ask your FRO if you have one... or one of the other wives who has been to one for that battalion before. GL =]
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Generally for formal military balls, they recommend that you go for a full length gown.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Most bases hold very formal balls, so formal length is what you should wear. If you can look at pictures of past balls you may have a better idea of what yours requires, not every one is that formal and a cocktail length dress would be appropriate.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• mmmm mm mm....military balls. :0) I am so sorry I had to say it!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It really depends on the base. When we were stationed in remote places the balls were more semi formal. Big bases, large commands, lots of brass was always full tilt black tie/ball gowns.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It depends on the base because the one I went to down here I wore a full length dress but I did see some girls that didnt
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I've been going to Navy Balls and to to Khaki Balls for 20 yrs now, and I've been to some for other branches, as well. Sometimes my dress has been cocktail length, sometimes they've been full length, and I've never stood out like my dress was inappropriate - there were a mix of lengths.

It does depend on where you are though - for example - when we were stationed in the DC area, the balls were much more formal than they are here (a small base in Japan).

The ones that I would strongly suggest you stay away from are the ones that are over the knee, skin tight, etc. Those really aren't appropriate for a military ball, though you do get some women who wear them.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Oh - I would also suggest that you do try to stay away from the more "Cinderella" looking dresses. I remember one ball I went to, this woman wore a pale pink sparkles on the skirt, full, billowing skirt dress with elbow length white gloves and a tiara. She really did look like Cinderella. She seemed like a very nice lady (I talked to her for a few minutes while we were getting drinks), and her dress fit her beautifully and was nicely made, but it seemed like all evening people were snickering about it, making comments, etc. I overheard some women laughing at her in the bathroom, and I heard several guys laughing about looking for a pumpkin outside...

I felt bad for her :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Ohhhh yeah I totally ordered the cocktail length dress! ;)
    marine_wife0520

Comment by marine_wife0520 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010