What should I prepare myself to hear from the vet?

Last weekend my formerly house-trained dog decided he could poop and pee wherever he wanted. Last night he had two bright-red, bloody bouts of diarrhea withing 30 minutes. Today his stool was jet black and looked like tar. He hasn't vomited, been lethargic, cried or anything... still the same hyper dog.

Before anyone starts yelling at me, YES, I am taking him in tonight. However, just like for my own illnesses, I like to have some idea before I walk into a health-care facility.

BTW: He's a 2 year old min pin with no other signs of illness. In fact, he's on a run right now with my daughter.

MichiMomma

Asked by MichiMomma at 4:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Pets

• Well since he is a chewer they may recommend X-Rays but since he isn't vomiting that may not be the case and food is not blocked. They wil check for internal parasites I'm sure. Hook worms can cause bloody stool. Since he is feeling well and not getting a ton of table scrapes the I would think they may wait on checking him for Pancreatitis. It could just be an upset stomach. If your dog hasn't been vaxed Parvo could be an issue but again with no vomiting I am thinking not. They will only do what you okay. Let them know up from of money is an issue. If you give them a budget they will do what they can with in it. If you walked into the clinic I work for we would do a stool check first so Office visit 45 stool check 20, Maybe a parvo test 30 if you declined x-rays (115) and the stool check was clear we would send you home on some diarrhea meds and antibiotics between 30-80 depending on what med and the size of the dog
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Plastic can cause damage, not show on an x-ray, and be deadly. It sounds like he is having bleeding in his stool (black stool) and I would count on it costing $500 just to find out with x-rays and stool exam (microscopic). I hope your dog is ok.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Poor thing! It sounds like a gastrointestinal bleed to me- black poops like tar are a definite sign of bleeding in the intestinal tract. Some illnesses can cause this, or he could have eaten something that has caused bleeding in his digestive tract. I hope you get some answers and he is able to be treated! Lots of luck to you and your dog!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Does he get table scrapes? What about bones. Is he a trash or toy eater?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• also is he still eating and drinking?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• First I wouldn't have him out running with my daughter. Second think of anything and I mean ANYTHING he might have eaten that would chew up his digestive track. Are there any roach hotels he could have chewed etc. Anything plastic that he chewed that he could have swallowed that would have punctured anything cause black tarry stools is a sign of internal bleeding somewhere.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• yup, eating and drinking like normal, which normally isn't much. He does like table scraps, but hasn't had any (as far as I know) and I haven't cooked anything with bones in a long time. Maybe a toy? If he had swallowed a chewed piece of plastic (which i could totally see him doing) could it tear him internally like a chicken bone could? could he die from that?
    MichiMomma

Comment by MichiMomma (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I agree.. sounds like he's chewed on something that he shouldn't have, and it's made it's way out of his stomach and into his intestines. Which is another reason he might not be vomiting, but still have the bloody stools. They will probably want to run x-rays and such to see what's going on inside.

A dog that is previously house trained, who just ups and starts peeing and pooping where they know they shouldn't, is trying to tell you something is wrong. Don't think he's being naughty, just to be naughty.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 5:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• What did they say?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• hope your dog is ok.
    TiggerMom

Answer by TiggerMom at 2:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010