Looking for the Right Breed of Dog...

We have a two year old, and one on the way, so we need something extremely good with kids. We're also a military family and my hubby is away a lot so we would prefer something large and easily trained to protect the family.... pretty flexible about shedding, exercise, etc. Any suggestions?

lacey82606

Asked by lacey82606 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Pets

• A St. Bernard is a wonderful family dog. They are very smart, loyal, eager to please, and very gentle with children. They are not the best guard dogs as they love all people but who wants to try and get past that bark. Read up on them some and if you have any specific questions on them just let me know.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 10:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• we had a great dane... he was so sweet to my 2 year old , they are often called the gentle giant. he was protective of our house and yard... btu he was so big i don't think anyone would ever try anything! // we also have a border collie who lets my 2 year old hang all over him, and beat him up.. but wouldn't dare let someone in the back yard... they are VERY smart, and pretty dogs!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Labs are great family dogs. And mine protected me when I had one. Very loving to family but are aware of strangers.
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Labs are great for children. And can be trained as guard dogs.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• SHELTIE!!!! We had one growing up and she is amazing!! Very protective, fast learning, but a little of a tattle tell. She didn't like when we would yell or fight. She would go get our mom every time! She was very patient with kids and never bit anyone that pulled her hair or nose. The only person she ever bit was a neighbor kid that was really mean to all the other kids. One day he was teasing my brother and she walked up and bit his ankle. Not hard. She didn't break skin or anything. It was just enough to make him never come over again.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• golden retrievers are awesome dogs! great family dogs. i would do some research about all the dogs the people above me mentioned and i mentioned and see what would be best.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 3:20 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• We have had 2 Great Danes, they are a WONDERFUL family pet. They are protective of your family & great w/ the kids. Intruders would not dare mess w/ this giant.
    3Tsmommy

Answer by 3Tsmommy at 6:26 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I know they carry a "bad name" but we went with a Pit Bull and I've never regretted it. When she goes, I'll get another... She is the sweetest dog...and she is also very eager to please like most dogs. She was raised with our kids and thinks she is a kid, lol. She's always been gentle with them...my daughter likes to sit on her like she's a horse and she lets her.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• boxers are the most amazing dogs when it comes to kids, and boy do they put on a scary front. my neighbor has had one with her kids forever and the littlest (4yrs now) used to grab his "private parts" and drag the dog by the tail and all max (the dog) did was kiss him and try to cuddle with him. me personally i have a rott/yellow leb and a pit/boxer and they love my daughter...their only drawback with her is they give too many kisses. i know people say pittbulls and babies dont mix but my weezer loves my daughter and wants nothing more than to protect her! i know labs are supposedly the perfect dog but my friend has one and twin boys and he has to go...he growls and snarls at the twins and she has had him for a few years now. good luck hope this helps
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• we have a pit bull, and she is the most wonderful dog! she does not care one bit about my 10mo pulling on her. they do like to stay busy when they are not being lazy and sleeping on the couch- so a nylabone or a strong kong is the best kind of toy for them. we have a couple parks near us with trails, and taking my daughter and the dog out is one of our favorite things to do. she is protective of my daughter and i since i stay home, but they are very easy to train as they LOVE to make their owners happy.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 21, 2008