Is saying Im open mided also saying Im not opend mided to others who arnt opend mided?

I'm so confused I support a bunch of things but am against a lot too I don't really fit in a category... I think

I say breast is best
So I must be closed minded?

I say if you want to sleep in your undies with you toddler next to you
then go for it.

So if I DON'T have a opinion then I'm open minded?

Help me out because you people confuse me lol

Zandrialeann

Asked by Zandrialeann at 4:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Entertainment

• Well, I see your point here. I am generally a very tolerant open minded person - BUT I simply can't tolerate of hate, bigotry and close mindedness... Mostly because I grew up smothered by it. I think it's just as hard for open minded people to accept close mindedness as it is for close minded people to accept open mindedness... It's a totally different way of thinking and takes an entirely different world view to accept that the other is okay... I general view is that if your beliefs or lifestyle isn't hurting anyone, go for it. But I see intolerance, bigotry, hate and close mindedness as very harmful, which makes it hard for me to be tolerant of them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think it comes down to the specific issue, rather than all of the issues together. You can be more closed minded about one issue and more open minded about another. (general you, I don't really know you, lol). If you have more things you are closed minded about than you are open minded about, you'd probably be thought of as being generally closed minded, and if the opposite were true then you'd probably be thought of as being generally open minded.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Haha, Sabrina, a lot of us are intolerant of intolerance. ;)
    And the way she worded the question, that's what it made me think of.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• As for the "breast is best" thing... Are you of the "Breast feeding nazi" variety or are you willing to say Breast is best, BUT, it's not my business if someone has their reasons for choosing formula? One is tolerant and open minded, the other is intolerant and close minded... I firmly believe Breast is best, and breast fed both of my older children as well as plan to BF this one. I hated EVERY minute of it, but knew it was best. However, I also plan to do formula part time with this one because I can't pump (not for lack of trying) and both want and need to return to work. I encourage everyone to nurse, but it's not my choice if someone decides not to...

And frankly, if you aren't molesting your kids, there is nothing wrong with sleeping next to them til they are 25 if everyone is happy that way... Undies or not...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think Sabrina said it best... Being open minded means you're accepting of other people's opinions, AS LONG AS THEY'RE NOT HARMFUL TO OTHERS. Bigotry, hate, discrimination of any kind is usually a sign of closed mindedness, and not something I can tolerate. For example, if somebody wants to be super religious, so be it. Not my bag of tea, but whatever. However, as soon as that person starts judging other people (i.e. gay people are sinners and go to hell, every Islamic person is a terrorist) because "their god says so", I absolutely become intolerant of them.

Being open minded doesn't mean you can't have an opinion, just that you can be accepting of another person's opinion too...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I hate this stupid character limit...

In the end I think it comes down to how willing you are to accept that others are entitled to their views and way of life - even if it's different from your own. If you are someone who can say "I don't agree, but it's not my choice" then you would be (at least in my mind) a very open minded person. On the other hand if you are someone who says "I don't agree so it shouldn't be" then you aren't. I would say the majority of people out there fall in to the more open minded category, but on this site we tend to get a twisted view because it tends to be the close minded "nazis" that scream the loudest...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Being open minded means you're willing to hear out other people's opinions and not judge them for their opinions. It doesn't mean you have to agree with them.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010