Just a Vent about Preschool................

I am actually going through an issue with the preschool I selected. My Son will be 4 in Oct. so I started him in a 4 yr. old program by their recommendation. All the other children in his class have been going to this preschool since they were 2. So they already have done the 2, 3, & now the 4 yr class. My Son has never been to daycare or any structured setting. Today they tell me he is not ready for the 4 yr. program that he has a hard time transitioning from one project to another & the other children are frustrated with him & thus seem to be alienating him! WTF! Isn't that what preschool is for to learn structure?? So I think I will be finding another preschool since they do not seem to want to spend time with a "New" student that has had no previous experience like the others. WTH is going on today?? He is at a disadvantage because he started preschool at 4 and all the others started at 2. Cont:

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am a former preschool teacher and current licensed child-care provider. That is NOT how a preschool is suppose to work! If anything a teacher would spend extra time with the new child to make certain they adapt to their new environment. Unless he is crying non-stop from drop-off to pick-up 5 days is way too soon. Find a new preschool!!!!!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 5:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• 5 days? U need to give him 2 weeks to get the routine down. 5 days is not enuf for them to make ANY determinations. Tell them to look at da research as to how long it takes a 4 to learn routines. They might not want to change what they're doing. Asteachers they need to use their individual students needs to structure their planning. Not the other way around!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'd be finding a new school based on the fact that he is being alienated and the teacher is aware...but doing ..what? My bio kids never went to preschool we couldn't afford it but qualifiied for no free programs. My grandkids I started each of them at 3. It really made a difference. Preschool wasn't their first structered class though. They had been attending church and sunday school since they first came to live with us. I hope you can find a school that will work with you.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:14 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• sounds like a school that doesn't want to work-

find another place, this place sounds like the pitts.
    I bet they made up or exaggerated the whole thing about the other kids being frustrated with him.
    I doubt if all the 4 year olds in that class are the little drones they are making them out to be.

sounds like they wanted him gone for one reason or another.
    I've heard from people that worked at places like this that sometimes they just decide they have too many kids, or they overbooked a room, so they come up with reasons like this to let the kid go that has been there the least about of time.

woudn't be surprised if this all had little to nothing to do with your kid- find a better place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would find another preschool.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• As a long time preschool teacher, you need to find something else and he needs to be in a 3 yr old program due to his birthday and not being in preschool before. At the preschool I was just at, the cutoff date was Sept 1, so he would have been in the 3 yr old program, then the 4 yr old the following year. The preschool your son is at, does not sound very good.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'd say find a new preschool. They're supposed to help the child WITH transitioning, not expect the child to already know it. It's called PRE school for a reason. If they don't want to do their job, find a new place. And make sure they know about your dissatisfaction!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:48 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• It is NOT unusual to experience a not-so-good-fit when entering preschool; trust your gut and it will all work out.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 7:08 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Cont: He has only been going since Sept 15 (5 days total) and he came out of class today for the first time visibly upset. I suspect this happened just to prove their point to me of not wanting him in that class. I am really upset about this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Vero0724 Thank you!!! I agree. I am going to start looking for a new preschool on Monday. I am so upset, I burst into tears when I got home over this. They only have a two day program for 3 year olds and I really think he will be totally bored. I thought that finishing a project that you started was a good thing. They even removed his star with his name on it on his class cubby this morning. I had no place to put his snack when we arrived and was like WTH?? I knew something was up. Then the Teacher approached me to talk privately. So that was their decision before I was talked to at all!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010