Ideas for mini pumpkins?

We just got back from getting groceries and DD got a bag of mini pumpkins (the short wide ones that fit in your hand). She says she wants to cook with them. We usually make pumpkin bread and pancakes with canned pumpkin purée. I've heard different sized pumpkins are better for different things. So what can I make with minis that a toddler can help with?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 4:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I suspect that unless they said cooking pumpkins that they would not be suitable for cooking. How about decorating them with markers, maybe making little hats for them.

Answer by Bmat at 4:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You can bake them and then cut & puree them and use them the same way you would with the canned kind.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 4:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Heat oven to 375°.

Cut the tops off of the pumpkins, cutting about 1/3 of the way down so the whole top will come off. Scoop out seeds and scrape soft fibers out of the mini pumpkins. Scoop out of the top, also, if there are a few seeds remaining in the top.

Brush melted butter over the inside of the pumpkins and inside of the tops. Sprinkle inside areas of bottoms and tops with salt and pepper. Place the tops on the pumpkins. Arrange the pumpkins in a jelly roll pan or large baking pan with sides. Pour 3 to 4 cups of water in the pan, or to a depth of about 1/2 inch. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the pumpkins are tender.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Those are for decorating - unless it says on the bag that they're for cooking. If it doesn't say I would not cook with them. Some are just not for cooking. Take her to a pumpkin farm and get a pie pumpkin, if she wants to cook with a little pumpkin. But don't take your chances with these unless it specifies - they could be coated with stuff that keeps them from rotting too soon - wouldn't want her to eat that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If you can cook with those you bought, chop apples, add to pumpkins, sprinkle with brown sugar, add raisins and a little butter.
    Bake 350 1 hr
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I just love to stuff these little pumpkins. I slice the top off and scoop out the inside.
    Then I make a stuffing with sausage, pepperidge farm stuffing (not the cubes), onion, green peppers, cranberries, walnuts and chicken broth. Any stuffing recipe will work. Anyway make the stuffing and stuff the pumpkins....replace the top back on them. Place them in a shallow pan and pour in enough water or chick broth to barely cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hours depending on the amount of pumpkins you have.....YUMMMOOOOOO m'Its great with roasted chicken or turkey breast
    Sassy762

Answer by Sassy762 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The pumpkins that taste best are the pale ones - we call them pie pumpkins, and we don't cook with any others, but it looks like other CafeMamas do, so go for it!

If you wantt other ideas, I like to take the slightly larger ones and scoop them clean and then put a disposable tupperware type deal in them, stick that florist foam stuff in that (the kind that you can get wet - it's harder to find than the regular kind), and then make a flower arrangement in it with chrysanthemums and other fall and fall-colored flowers. My mo mdoes this and then sprays the whole thing with spray glitter, and everyone goes gaga over them. Seems like you could make this work for the littler pumpkins too!

:o) Fun question!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 8:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010