To all stay at home AMERICAN MOMS, please tell me how does your husband treat you financially? My husband refused to give me money for gas today!!

My husband of 3 years keeps telling me that marriage in America is different than in my country that we (husband & wife) are equal and he can't pay for me for anything other than room and board (sometimes food) not even gas or winter clothes for my 2 girls and that it is not his job to do any household work or cook or put the girls to sleep not even have dinner with us every night.
Note: I have been surviving on gifts from family & friends overseas from which I pay for all my & my girls activities, cell phone, food, clothing and toys etc..!!!
Note: He works 7 days a week day and night...he is a free bird never even calls when he is late!! and ALWAYS SAYS we don't have money :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Relationships

• He sounds like an ass. As soon as my hubby gets paid he asks me what I need right then. Then he gives me money whenever I need it.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 9:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• The way your husband is treating you is NOT right. Especially if he isn't even giving you money to get winter clothes for your daughters! He needs to get over himself and start treating you as an equal. You deserve better than that!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 10:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i'm not a SAHM, but i agree with marlye....
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Frankly, he sounds abusive. I am a SAHM, and I have full access to all of our money, no questions asked.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 10:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My hubby said that staying home and taking care of everything there is more than equal to him working all day.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 10:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i agree he sounds like an ass .... me and my SO arent married yet (dec):D bt i still get everything i could need or want and im still pregnant
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Excuse my language but HELL NO, I think you should be equal but when you dont have enough money for esecials like food he should be providing it. He should also be helping with the kids and house work (some people might not agree with that)
    My husband doesnt help much but he has set things he has to do. He takes out the trash, puts away clean dishes, and vacume. These are things that help that I dont always find time to do.
    Anyways you need to find out about the no money thing, he should be providing for his girls.
    He just sounds like a control freak, sorry
    Best wishes
    gavrilmom

Answer by gavrilmom at 10:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• He is being horrible and treating you that way because he knows that he can. My husband asks me what me and the baby need, and he gets that immediately. He helps clean and cook, because dammit, he lives here too! A husband is supposed to provide for his family as best as he can....yours is NOT doing that.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 10:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I think this is a fake question...it was posted twice at different times.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• No, if you are taking care of things at home and you really DO have the money, there is no reason for him to refuse to provide for the things you need. He is using money as a weapon. I have my own income, but when I was staying home, my hubby NEVER would have told me that I couldn't have money for the things the kids and I needed (now, my "fun" money was minimal, but that's because he is really uptight about saving money for our retirement and the kids college, cant argue with that). I would look for a little income of your own if he is going to treat money like power.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2008