Do you consider Thanksgiving a religious holiday? (s/o of Halloween question)

When Sab brought up in her answer about the original Native American TG celebration, I wondered how many people consider it religious at all. With my in-laws, the prayer factor of it, the actual giving of thanks, is a very big deal. With my family growing up, it was almost an afterthought. Neither side has it very formal - it's too big to do anything but a buffet and tables in any room big enough.

I'm not looking for a semantic debate about how it's defined - just what your family does - is it spiritual, or is it a day to eat turkey and watch football?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• turkey and football
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It really means nothing to me at all, since I wasn't raised with it. To me, it's just a day off work. I don't even particularly care for turkey, heh.

But I guess that brings up an interesting question, if it's something that's only celebrated in one country, how can it be a religious holiday?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• For us...

Thanksgiving isn't "sprititual"..

But being children of immigrants (my husband is a 1st gen American.. I am a 3rd gen on my mother's side) Thanksgiving is special to us.. We know what our families' lives were like where they were originally from. So, he and I are both very grateful (Thankful if you will) for the life we have, and we only have it because of the lives our families started here.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No, I don't think of it as a religious day at all.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• if it's something that's only celebrated in one country, how can it be a religious holiday?

Well, that's like Dia de los Muertos. It's originally Aztec, over the centuries has incorporated Catholic traditions, but it's really only celebrated in Mexico (and some US cities with large Mexican populations). It's definitely a religious holiday. Just like Christmas - US Christmas has morphed into something you don't find anywhere else in the world, just like Dutch Christmas went off in one direction and English Christmas in another.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• For our family it is purely...

Football Turkey Pictures, Images and Photos
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No, not religious. Focused on gratitude, appreciating what we have, enjoying friends and family, sharing what we have, spending time together.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My extended family says a prayer before the meal, but that part of the family says a prayer before any meal at a big family gathering. For me, it's all about the football and the turkey.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• its very spiritual for us..we worship Carbs like there's no tomorrow.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Dullscissors should totally get Beast Answer!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010