is this normal, or are we getting screwed?

my ds's first soccer match is tomorrow. this is our first sport to play, and we signed up weeks ago, paid the $50 dues/membership into the soccer association, etc.

we (our team, and i assume we aren't alone..) have YET to be contacted by the 'coach'. yes, its all volunteer-basis, but we have no info. nada. yilch. we held a parent-driven practice, of sorts, last night..and luckily, someone's dad knew something about kicking and dribbling, because none of us mom's knew anything!
it seems everything is being left up to the parents of the players..is this how it usually is at beginner level, or are we unlucky enough to get involved in crappy handling of youth sports??
the kids are out having fun, so its all...good??

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 4:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That's not right. You need to call whoever you signed up with and demand some answers. They might think everything is going fine.
    valorie59

Answer by valorie59 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well, I don;t know but lucky for you a dad knew what he was doing!! I would contact the department of which you signed up and demand an answer at least. I mean are they looking? Perhaps you as the parents could find a family friend or something to help out. Also try the local Highschool and colleges. A lot of the kids need volunteer hours for school. Just make sure to always have a parent volunteer to assist at each practice and game. And get references for course.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I hope that's not normal! I'm hoping to get my son signed up for some sports next year when he turns 4 and if that were normal, I won't waste my time (or money) on it.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Not normal, I would DEMAND my money back.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 4:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Call and DEMAND the coaches phone number and call him or her yourself. I have had to do that for my son's baseball teams because the person entering the information entered my phone number incorrectly. You should have been contacted atleast a week ago. If the guy running the program isn't helpful, demand your money back.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• no, that's just it. i have called and emailed, several times. the 'info' we do get, comes straight from the guy running the show.
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010