Religion

Okay so here is my question how did you know that your religion was right for you. I was raised Roman Catholic but never agreed with it, I just have a lot of un answered questions and feelings. i have 3 girls that I teech about God and that As long as you treet people with respect and are a good person then that is what is important. I don't want to start any religious wars, just help with figuring out on jow to choose what's the right religion for me and my family. Thank You

lee74

Asked by lee74 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• religion is not important, faith is. as long as you have faith you don't need to belong to a group or title yourself
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• When I found peace within myself.

When I found that I see more beauty than dispare.

When I found I was on the receiving end of more happiness than sorrow.

When I was able to see hope instead doubt.

I knew I was on the right path for me.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• This has the potential of starting a religious war, lol. Well, I assume that your choice of religion is Christianity. From your posting this appears to already be your choice. Unfortuantely, for a Christian, it can be a bit confusing. Everyone believes that they have the truth and they will fight over it. There is a whole list of different denominations and they are all based on biblical principal. Just to let you know, a protestant is actually a protest-ant against the catholic church. The most famous movement was with Martin Luther. So there are only supposed to be two, Catholic or Protestant. I guess the best way to teach your children is, do what Jesus did. He was our example. If he kept the "Jewish"¬†feasts (which he did), we should also. He baptized by emersion in water, so should we. The Bible clearly states to follow no man as we are all flawed. The various denominations in protestantism shows this.

vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 4:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I was raised Catholic but do not follow it I haven't been to a catholic service for a Sunday Mass since I was 18 when my Mom had no say over me I am 36 now. I beleive in doing the rite thing and being a good person. But as for saying I am a religious follower that I can't say I respect those that have found there's and They have the right to fight tooth and nail about there belief God nows my Mom does.
    lee74

Comment by lee74 (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I just follow my heart and let my relationship with God and the conviction He fills me with lead my way. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I struggle ALOT with this! I was not raised with anything really. Just being TOLD (never went to church) "your baptist" .. Ive always wanted to get into church but we just never do :( ... I want my kid to grow up more in a church enviroment, but feel odd trying to teach my child something i myself am struggling with..
    We can go to church, but in the end her belief is her own, and as long as its a positive one, I'll be OK with it (no devilworshiping stuff! lol)
    I agree with ali & a few other poster when they say its not about just A religion, but finding your faith within..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I've always believed Religion/Spirituality is a very personal thing and no one but you can decide which path is right for you... I was raised in a very strict religious family, but never agreed with what they were teaching us... It just wasn't something I felt was right. To me, you can't force yourself to believe something, it's better to find a religion which fits what you DO believe than try and make yourself fit a religion that doesn't. Do some "soul searching" and figure out what you DO believe before you decide to start a religion search, you may find out you don't need a drawn out path... Maybe you'll be one of us that prefers to cut her own.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If you are looking for a church, try church hopping. Each week go to another church. Find a pastor that raises you up. Methodists & Baptists are very open & welcoming. I was raised Methodist but currently attend a Pentecostal church. It's very conservative & I like the pastor. I love listening to her preach. And everyone treats you like family.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It seams that many of the people that my mom went to Catholic church and school with are now Protestant. I'm now Non-Denominational (not completely for or against any denomination).
    1.) Follow what Jesus did and said.
    2.) Pray (Ask God. He will lead you. He will give you peace.)
    3.) Church hop (Try to find a place that teaches from the Bible and about the Spirit.)
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 5:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• ...I just have a lot of un answered questions and feelings...

What are your unanswered questions? 

Did you find the answers when you left the Church?

If you still have questions, you are welcome to ask here on Cafemom, or on catholic.com, or on the Catholic Moms group here on Cafemom.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2010