My baby is six months old and she doesnt like her bottle anymore. She would rahter eat baby food and have a sippy cup. She likes to do things on her own already. A lady, who owns a daycare, said taht when the kids at the daycare start doing this she puts their formula in their sippy cup. They like this because they can hold it and handle it themselves. What should I do? Sorry I know I have many questions. I am a new mom.

magster18

Asked by magster18 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That sounds right to me. I don't think there's any harm in letting her drink her formula from a sippy cup; it doesn't change it any. As long as she is still getting the nutrients.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My daughter is now 8 months and she's been drinking out of her sippy cup since about 6 months. Just make sure you get a good sippy cup. Gerber makes a transition cup which i started out with then i switched her to an Avent cup its short and easy to hold. GOOD LUCK!
    BettyBoopsty

Answer by BettyBoopsty at 10:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Thanks that makes me feel better that other moms do it to.
    magster18

Answer by magster18 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I fed my daughter formula out of a sippy and have gave the twins formula in one as well
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• As a Home Day Care Provider I say.....You go baby girl!! You'll really appreciate her sippy cup skills when it comes time to take her off the bottle. I have a 14 month old in my care that will NOT drink from a sippy cup no matter what the brand is. Her Mother decided today to go cold turkey on the bottle. She said her doctor told her it was time. It was a difficult day for her...and everyone else as well...lol
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Your little lady knows what she is ready for! Sounds like she has made up her mind and it should work out well for everyone. I have a friend whose mom has been a pediatrician for over 20 years, she is my DD Dr. She told me to skip the sippy and just let the baby go strait from a bottle to a cup. She claims Matt (her son) could drink out of a cup without spills by 8 months. My DD is 6 months and I sometimes let her have her own cup on a towel or while sitting in the tub. She has fun and is doing very well, she doesn't take to much. I thought this might be something fun for you to try, since your little one is already showing such interest.

Cris1128

Answer by Cris1128 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• there's nothing wrong with putting the formula in a sippy cup as opposed to a bottle.
    however, i would avoid replacing feedings with solid food. at this age solids are really just for tasting and testing. they do NOT provide your girl with the necessary nutrients she needs.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• As soon as mine could hold a sippy cup I gave it to them. Then that is what they used all day except before nap and bedtime. It makes the move off of the bottle so much easier
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 4:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Let her use the cup. As far as her eating solids she is more then old enough. If you can get her to eat baby food that's great, my daughter hated all baby food so she ate whatever we did I just put it i the blender with some formula.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• let her use the cup. Nothing wrong with it. I'm transistioning my 4 almost 5 month to a sippy cup for when she is in daycare since I dont want nipple confusion. The daycare thinks I'm crazy but I had an easy transistion with my son and he was completely off of the bottle by 7 months.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 6:12 AM on Oct. 21, 2008