If someone doesn't work and collects Gov aid is it right to punish the kids?

Do you really think you should punish the kids by taking them from their home or denying them services if the only thing wrong is the parents are lazy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No, I don't think it's right to punish the kids. However I would hope that someone isn't just having kids so they can get gov't aid, kwim?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If the parents are lazy and won't provide for their children it is doubtful any help given will help the kids either. They are more than likely going to continue to help themselves and the kids will suffer anyway. Assistance should only be temporary and for those who need it. Families who are both working should not have to go without food and the basics they should be getting the help. Those who choose to be lazy and not work should not be given anything if they allow their kids to suffer they should not be allowed to be those children's parents anymore.

For those who lack reading comprehension and say I am mean and people are struggling.   I am not talking about those who have been laid off and can't find work just those who choose to not work and expect others to pick up the tab.  ;0) 

tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 6:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Honestly, I don't consider a lazy parent to be a good parent, period. You should want the best for your child, and being on welfare certainly isn't that. What kind of an example is that setting? They should at least make an EFFORT to get a job...

Having said that, I don't think laziness alone is a reason to remove the child from the home. It would be reason enough for me not to be friends with that person, though...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• They are just teaching their kid to grow up and be lazy. We should not support laziness. If support is taken away hopefully the parents will step up and care for the kids.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think that children deserve the best chance at getting a good start in life, a good foundation for learning, and should be taught a good work ethic. They won't get that in a home with lazy parents or with parents who live on PA and don't try to do better. Just being poor is not a crime nor does it indicate lazy parents, particularly in this economy. Some of the poorest parents I know are also some of the best ~ and the entire family is happy and productive ~ even if they don't have a lot of 'stuff'.

But, parents who keep having more children while on assistance ~ imo ~ are not just lazy, they are neglectful, abusive, lazy, and irresponsible. Those children are at risk, and removing them and placing them in a stable home isn't punishment. Our system makes it far too easy to be lazy and it completely eliminates ANY requirement for responsibility or accountability.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Of course, that still isn't the childrens fault though. They didn't ask to be brought into that family but if they are cared for they shouldn't be punished.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I didn't say they should be punished. I just think it's a shame when someone decides to have kids, not because they love having kids, but because they know they are going to get money for them. I think that in itself is punishment.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I understand that for sure. I was just reiterating the scenario I had given. Good parents just lazy and IMO worthless but still parenting.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If the parents aren't being good parents then THEY should be punished by losing their kids to people who may be good parents. If they are being good parents but they are just lazy then the government needs to shove their baby bird out o fthe nest and make it learn to fly.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I agree with you OP. A have a friend who has been on PA since before her DD was born. Her DD is almost 5! She has not looked for a job at all. But she is a good mommy.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2010