How is it the no child left behind seems to be a joke?

So long story short. My daughter who is 8 was getting A's and B's....no c's or d's or f's. We move one state over and Im being told today that my daughter who is a third grader is reading at a 1st grade level. Talk about being besides myself!!!! I am lost as to what to think at this point.

Any advise????

lovinmy3babies

Asked by lovinmy3babies at 4:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• talk to your child's teacher and see what they recommend. i find it strange that there are such differences between states. my oldest is in the first grade now, and i am just reviewing the curriculum. the teachers at my son's school just said they follow the state's curriculum. how does she stand with math? If you find things too overwhelming, you may want to consider hiring a tutor if you have the money for it, or see what resources the school may have available.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would try and find ways to help get her reading up to speed. I would read with her and ask questions b/c reading is also being able to comprehend it. I also believe that this is a joke. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• All that really means is that the criteria/expectations ect.. are different in the district that you moved to..

Work with her at home in order to bring her up to the new schools standards. That's really all you can do. And hang in there... School and all it's issues can get to you sometimes..

No Child Left Behind, is and was a joke on many levels...... Of course, that's just my personal take on it... :-)

(( I had a nephew who went through this. He had been going to school in one state. Moved mid termSenior year, and the new school required 5 more credits for graduation than his old school did. He took courses at the local Community College in order to get his credits to graduate on time)))
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have nothing nice to say about NCLB. The only good thing that came out of it was decent kids tv programming. The only thing I can suggest is daily reading. She will catch up quickly.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:33 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Even though her grades are good she could maybe still use a little help with her reading.We have a program that is free for 1 hour after school.My daughter was having some troubles and this helped her alot
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I would talk to your child's teacher and school counsler and work with her at home.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 11:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Every state is different when it comes to teaching children stuff. My cousins and I are the same age but the stuff I learn in Utah my cousins learned 1-2 years before and they are in Washington state.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010