Breastfeeding a child with teeth...

This is suuuper scary. Lol. My 22 day old son bit the tip of my nipple and he has no teeth..OMG..What if he had teeth, ouch even more!

Since they are older when they normally get teeth do they know not to bite??

Im nervous..And tempted to pump only when my son gets teeth...

tiger_tatted1

Asked by tiger_tatted1 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some kids bite others don't and there are two types of biting in my book. The mechanics of nursing do not allow them to bite while actively nursing and the first type is when the let go and purposely bite down to get a reaction. A friend told me before it happened to pull them INTO your breast so they let go and then sit them down and calmly say we don't bite and walk away. Both mine tried it around 6 months when they started teething and I did it once with my first born and he stopped and I had to do it twice with my second and she stopped. The other type of biting is when they are starting to drift off to sleep at the breast and the nipple starts falling out of their mouth and they try to get it back in. They will often bite then to, but it is not on purpose to hurt. I would try to make sure I had their heads supported to that they didn't fall off the nipple until they were well asleep and then remove them myself.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I did what But Mommie does. I would say very sternly "NO biting!" and then put her on the floor. Nursing session is over. She quickly learned that if she wanted to nurse, she couldn't bite me. Also, when they do start biting, pay more attention while they are nursing. They can't bite and suck at the same time so they will typically bite near the end. So if you are paying close attention you can stop them before they bite.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• When my DD was biting this is what I would do. She would bite. I would pull her form my breast and set her in the floor and tell her no bite! After a min or two I would bring her back. Repeat as necessary. It was a painful phase but she soon learned that biting kept her from eating!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• In MY experience, babies don't really bite. My kids have found that if they bit, the meal was over. I have two kids, nursed one until about 14 months, and still nursing my 3+ year old, and if I recall correctly, have been bitten LESS then 5 times. Probably closer to 2 or 3. In my entire breastfeeding experience. If a child bites, then they are not actively nursing. Which means, take baby OFF breast.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• She was about 4 months then by the way! Then again at 7 months. We did this phase twice!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Hmmm....Not what I wanted to hear. LOL...
    tiger_tatted1

Comment by tiger_tatted1 (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• They learn really quickly not to bite the boob that feeds them! I nursed my first for 30 months and he had a full set of teeth by the time he weaned, and my 18 mo old has 12 teeth with 4 more coming in. Not a problem at all...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I was wondering about this too!
    croneasm

Answer by croneasm at 7:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• One of my kids only bit me once for attention - she was 13 months and never did it again. I took her off and said "no" firmly.

My oldest never bit. My youngest would nip as he was falling asleep and losing the latch.

It hurts. If you take him/her off and are gentle but firm, they tend to get the message pretty quickly, especially if they are hungry.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My daughter got the hint when she got flicked in the mouth. She cried, I soothed, we continued nursing. There were a few months when this happened once a week.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 4:12 PM on Sep. 25, 2010