How do I get my 13 month old to except the new baby?

I have a 13 month old daughter and just had a baby boy 2 weeks ago. My DH and I have been trying to get our daughter to except the new baby. She wants nothing to do with him. She wont look at him, she gets jealous if we hold him around her, and when we put him next to her she cries like crazy. I know this is a new adjustment for all of us, and I know we can't push her, but how long will it take to get her to except her brother? Has anyone else had this issue?

Becca1189

Asked by Becca1189 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give her time. Let her approach baby on her own timetable. Right now you can give her extra attention so she knows she is still loved. She is most likely feeling replaced. She needs one on one time with you both and positive reinforcement. My pediatrician told me to put the emphasis on the siblings when I got home. He told me to make sure baby was well cared for but put more energy into the others. That advice served me so well and made the transistion easier. Best wishes to all of you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My 16 month old LOVED her baby brother but there have been a few issues. Let her come around. I bought DD a babydoll and she imitated what I did with the baby with her doll. Make sure she gets plenty of attention too.
    croneasm

Answer by croneasm at 7:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i included them in the everyday duties..like washing up,bottle feeding,talking to,playing,singing, or pretend babysitting...everything that i did that way they felt needed..always supervised of course...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Mine were 19 months apart. For the first few weeks DS was like "what the heck is that thing?

Give it some time. Remember that DD is not much more than a baby herself. And children around her age tend to go through a jealous stage involving "my mommy!" around that age. My DD did that until she was about 3. But your DD will get used to DS and eventually will not remember a time that he was not in her life.

BTW, mine are now 12 and nearly 11. They are the best of friends and the worst of enemies. They would do serious damage to anyone who hurt his/her sibling.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010