When does formula really expire?

i know, i know... read the can! BUT I have 2 cans of unopened ( sealed) Similac... that a friend gave me. It expired in September, do you think it's OK to use it if it is still sealed?

I breastfeed my baby but he has formula when he is at my moms 2 times a week.

VictinaG

Asked by VictinaG at 10:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't take this type risk with an infant being that they are so sensitive. I would just trash it.
    BettyBoopsty

Answer by BettyBoopsty at 10:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• yeah trash it.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Definitely trash it, my brother works at Ross and makes baby formula. We alos have a firend that works in the micro lab. They put dates on them for a reason. The formula is not safe to consume after the expiration date.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Im good friends with an Enfamil drug rep and she told me that the experation on the can is the day is loses its self life, when they have to remove it but it is still ok for another 1-2 months. Its really up to you. But she told me that it wouldn't hurt the child.
    nadiasmom508

Answer by nadiasmom508 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• if it's past the expiration date then it's expired even if it's unopened.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I wouldnt take the chance.
    Shellmybells

Answer by Shellmybells at 5:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I am sure it wont hurt the baby BUT it will lose it's nutrients after that date. So i would trash it
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2008