MY 1 YEAR OLD WANTS TO EAT BY HIMSELF BUT HE DOESNT KNOW HOW SO HE HARDLY EATS. HOW CAN I GET HIM TO LET ME FEED HIM, OR TEACH HIM TO DO IT RIGHT.

my son doesnt let me feed him.

TeenMom17-Mszy

Asked by TeenMom17-Mszy at 10:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little guy just turned one. Are you trying to get your son to eat with silverware or are you saying that he doesn't even know how to pick food up and put it in his own mouth? We just bought my son silverware for his birthday. He's trying to figure it out, but I just mainly let him play with it and watch us, he'll get the hang of it eventually.

If your son won't even pick food up with his fingers and eat it then you may want to talk to a Dr about development. But if you're trying to get him to use silverware it's probably going to be a while. Just let him use his fingers and always give him the silverware, he'll do it eventually.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Don't worry...He won't starve. You keep letting him try feeding himself because he's learning and having fun at the same time. When mine were little I made a plate for them and put a little on their high chair tray a little at a time. If if falls on the floor leave it and put more on there from the plate and if it falls inside the high chair...put it back on the tray. Be creative in the colors and textures of the foods and it'll be an enjoyable time for you both. Have fun : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• how will he learn if you don't let him do it himself. my daughter was the same and i felt the same that she wasn't eating as much. i found though that what worked was i gave her a small bowl for herself to feed with and then i would feed her. she learned quite quickly. mostly i let her eat with her hands cause that is what she likes. although i do leave a fork or spoon and she will sometimes use them. good luck!
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Great point Nika75. Offer a fork or spoon but at 1 they usually aren't able to eat with them yet. Using fingers is your best bet.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I agree with the PP. allow him to play with the food as much as he wants, eventually it will end up in his mouth. letting him figure out how to feed himself is much better, IMO, than just shoveling food into his mouth.

don't try to force him to eat "x" amount of food in "y" amount of time. let meals be a relaxed time (as much as possible). eat alongside him. my son HATES to eat alone, even if I'm not hungry (which, lets face it, isn't often, LOL), i have to have a plate of my own with something that i'm nibbling on.

but like Nika75 said, if he's not even picking food up and eating it, that could be something developemental that would need to be checked out, but if its just that he's not eating "enough," don't stress too much.
    sunnykate

Answer by sunnykate at 10:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• he used to eat with his fingers but now he wont, he will try with the spoon and fork until everything is on the fllor or on his head lol. also becuz of this he has lost a little bit of weight.
    TeenMom17-Mszy

Answer by TeenMom17-Mszy at 11:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• You can't!! He wants to figure it out on his own and he will make a mess, give him a spoon or fork and let him at it. He will figue it out, My son refused to eat with out a fork or spoon and would sit and cry and try to take ours. He is so indpendent it makes me what to cry, Now he thinks he can drink out of a soda bottle and will throw a tantrum if you give him a cup. They are just growing up Stephanie
    Codysmommy639

Answer by Codysmommy639 at 2:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Another thing to think about is what are you considering hardly eating?

I mean, at 1, he's not going to eat that much...he's little and he's still learning--as long as he is gaining weight and is active and healthy, that is what counts.

If you are looking for some guidelines and good info though, try http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/toddler/feeding_your_toddler.html
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:52 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Make sure the food is finger foods so he can pick them up. My duaghter was the same way. If I fed her, she refused. He'll get it. As long as he's getting a reasonable amount of food over the entire day, he should be fine. If he's not eating much at one meal, give him some extra snacks to much on until he gets the hang of the eating thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Try using two forks. When he's busy playing with one, stab a peice of food and leave it for him. Then when he grabs it, it'll be ready to eat. Then sneak the other fork and do the same.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 21, 2008