Has your 1 year old had to undergo surgery?

My son has to have exploratory surgery on Tuesday. My DH and I have both never been under general anasthesia and are very scared to have our son be put under at such a young age. My DH won't stop asking me what we will do if he never wakes back up! Any tips on how to get through it?

lasombrs

Asked by lasombrs at 5:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh sweetie, I know how scary surgery can be. My oldest had his 1st surgery at age 1. You'd be suprised at how well the little ones handle it all. I know I can tell you to have faith & relax, but you wont. You're a mom- it's in the job description to worry. Esp. when it's a boo-boo that we can't fix w/ a magic mommy kiss! So besides that advice, here's something else you can do: Write down any & all concerns to ask the Dr. & the anestesiologist (sp?) Make them explain things to you in plain English! Look up information about it on Web MD.com. And add your little one to a prayer chain at your church. Good luck.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• the first time i did i was scared but dont think about the worst just think about how they will figure out whats wrong and then he will be fine!
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 5:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My son had surgery when he was 6 months old. He will wake back up lol. They monitor them VERY VERY well. Just add an hour or two to the time they tell you. Our son's surgery took 6 hours instead of the 4 they told us. We FREAKED, but nothing was wrong they just took their time fixing the problem properly and were waiting for some of the anesthesia to wear off before we seen him.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My now 11 year old had surgery at 16 months and then again at 20 months. While I won't lie to you and tell you that it isn't scary, you will get through it. It helps if you don't dwell on the rare chance that something negative will occur. Focus on all of the positive things with your child. Good luck!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My DD has sugery at 7 months and 20 months. For both she was put under. It isn't easy but you do what you have to. Its our job to worry. Just love on your baby and know you are doing what is best. At this age, they won't remember anything so its harder on us.
    croneasm

Answer by croneasm at 7:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i think every parent has this fear, my son didnt have a surgery but did have a procedure requiring him to be put under, he had a endoscope done, my husband sobbed the entire time, and then when they called us to tell us how everything went, we could hear our son screaming from the recovery room, and we both went running down the hall, the best sound in the world, we went home more worried than what we were going in only to find everything was ok. Just think mama they do this everyday!!! *hugs* and i hope the surgery goes well and he has a super fast recovery!!
    juansmommy

Answer by juansmommy at 11:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My 5 yr old has had to have general anesthesia twice. Once as a 6 month old and the second was 6 months ago. He did great and really doesn't remember much about it.

Just be there for each other. I know that it is hard, I went through the second time on my own as DH couldn't get off of work. I did a lot of nervous pacing.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• 2 of mine have..i was scared also but if it meant finding the problem an removing it..it trumps the fear anytime..if u are scared pray to the angles to protect him while hes under..gl
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010