Gluten free infant?

What kind of infant cereals or the equivalent would be gluten free? My dd's doc is putting her on a gluten free diet and I have no idea what to swap her cereal for, she needs the calories.

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she's under a year, she should still be getting 90% of her calories from formula or breast milk.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 5:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• do you have a whole foods or natural grocer in your city? i know both those store have a couple of gluten free infant choices.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 5:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• kittyhasclaws- she is having problems gaining weight and needs more than just breastmilk. per her doctor, even though she is getting enough milk they think she is having trouble absorbing the calories and nutrients.
    thank you, rfurlong, I'll have to make a trip to Whole Foods!
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• isn't brown rice cereal gluten free?
    is she on a casein free diet too?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Cereals contain fewer calories than human milk, and if she's having trouble absorbing your milk (which is the easiest thing in the world for a human baby to absorb..) chances are she won't do much better on the cereal. Define "problems gaining weight"? Give me numbers... how old is she? Have you modified your own diet?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• She is almost 9 months old and weighs 13 pounds, 12 ounces (6 pounds, 8 ounces at birth). She is 26 and a half inches long, so she isn't even on the weight for length growth chart anymore. She has gained nothing in the last month. Today is the first we have been told to modify and that gluten might be the problem. Yes, rice is gluten-free, but rice cereal isn't very easy for her to digest. Or at least it wasn't a few months ago, maybe if we get the gluten thing straightened out that will change.
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You don't need to feed CEREAL. Offer fruits and veggies. Avocado is high in good fat. I have a friend who is on a GF/CF diet, and I'm sure she would not mind sending me a general list of things that are OK, and things to look out for. Give me a day or so to get it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Cereal is a cheap filler - it does NOT have the calories, the nutrients, anything, that breastmilk does. If breastmilk isn't enough for her to gain weight adding cereal will do nothing but fill her up and make her want less breastmilk. She needs more breastmilk - and if it truly isn't enough you'd be better off supplementing with 1-2 small bottles of formula per day - but not cereal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• the baby oats also should be gluten free. Anything that doesn't contain wheat. I don't currently have an infant on cereal right now (my baby is only 2 months), but I had my 2 older sons on gluten free diets from the age of 1 until they were almost 3.
    Check the side of the baby oatmeal - it should say if it's processed on the same machinery that processes mixed grain cereals.

Answer by missanc at 8:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i LOVE wholefoods! they are great, kind of pricey but they have so many selections and items to choose from. Also if you have any co-ops near you they almost always have a ton of gluten free items.
    hotmommy420

Answer by hotmommy420 at 9:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010