100 million dollars to Newark Schools

What do you think about the maker of fb donating 100mil to Newark, Nj schools? I thinks its great. As long as it is used correctly. I also thing Michelle Rhee should be the superintendent there. What are your though?

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I want Michelle Rhee in EVERY SCHOOL! Cant wait to see "waiting for superman"!!
    100mil is great... Could it be "timed" because of his new movie.. Most Likely!
    BUT WHO CARES!!! A school just got alot of money & hopefully it will go to the kids & the school & not fattening the pockets of all the wrong people who are making our schools go down hill in the 1st place..

Imagine if every big movie to hit the box donated 100mil to a school!! ..... give 1mill ;) it would still make amazing strides (if spent properly)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My thought is dang, that movie must really paint him in a bad light and make him look like a real douche.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Finally a large amount of money to schools instead of banks, politicians or celebrities!! I support this 100%
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The 100Mil is coming from the ceo of facebook not the movie. But I also hope it is used correctly. I want to see waiting for superman but I don't travel to NY or CA so I don't know how I'll see it.
    reigndrops12689

Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I agree with PPs. It is great that he is donating a large amount of money and I hope that it is put to a good use. It does seem suspicious that this large sum of money is being donated at the same time an inflammatory movie about him is released. I know it's just a movie, but what about it is so bad that he's doing this? I guess I will wait for the movie.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 6:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I seriously doubt it will make a difference. Throwing money at the public school problems NEVER solves anything. PARENTS need to become involved, they need to MAKE their children give a damn, AND they need to clean up the city (if possible), and build thousands of homes to increase their tax base, from which additional funds would be used to build the infrastructure and quality of the schools. And with home ownership, comes a certain level of pride in what you own and you become a more integral part of the community.

IMO...$100 Million spent on the construction of Habitat for Humanity homes in Newark would have been a more productive move, that wold have LONG-LASTING effects.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Good for him and good for them. It is his money. He can give it to whomever he chooses. Thiis nothing new. The Gates fund the Seattle, WA schools all by themselves and have for years. The Gates Foundation funds technology in schools all over the country.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:11 AM on Sep. 25, 2010