What restrictions should a school dress code put on students?

Personally, I think school dress codes have gotten WAY out of hand. I mean, I can understand limiting offensive clothing, or clothing which shows off areas that shouldn't be shown off... But to say a student can't wear a certain color or can only wear school colors (which one of our local schools now does), or they can't have more than this many earrings or this hair cut to me is just stupid! We teach our kids from little up to be who they are and be an individual, then the schools try to turn them all in to drones when it comes to their style...

Like I said, I can understand limits, if a certain style is dangerous, offensive, gang related, or overly lewd, by all means, limit it... But what is the point of limiting nail or hair color? If the parents are okay with it, and it's not hurting anyone, why should the school find reason to limit it?

So, What SHOULD school dress codes include?

**Public schools w/o uniforms of course

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in

• my dd goes to a private christian school. No flip flops, no camo, no long hair on boys, no earrings on boys, no spaghetti straps on girls, no writing on the butt of pants, no music groups on clothes. Whorts have to have a 3 or 4 inch inseam I think. basically it just dress modestly and wear shoes that stay on.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I went to 12 years of Catholic school because the public schools in our city were so bad there was really no choice. Because of this experience I am against dress codes of any kind. Supposively, if all the students are in uniform, you can't tell who has money and who doesn't. This wasn't true, especially in high school. Even with a uniform you know .

By the way, some school restrict colors because they are colors associated with area gangs.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I went to school in a very small christian, country town..... we were not aloud to wear shirts with sleeves shorter than a regular t-shirt, nothing above the knee, no flip flops or any kind of sandles that doesnt go to the ankle , our hair could only be a natural color - my mom once let me dye my hair a bright auburn color ( like she got done) and I was sent home from school, we were not aloud to wear makeup until high school

when i did get to high we moved and i was sooo excited that I got to wear flip flops to school - i wore them everyday for my whole freshman year, even in the winter lol
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 5:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I sub in many schools/districts & have a child in a public school that uses a dress code/uniform policy. Many schools are not just teaching academics, but manners & employability skills. It is distracting to have purple hair, tons of piercings, etc. The color choices do have to deal w/ gangs- right down to the shoe laces. These gangs are trying to outwit the adults by coming up w/ new things, so the schools have to stay a step ahead of them. Also, the kids dont have the pressure to have the latest fashion trends. (one less thing to get teased about!) And it actually makes the morning routine a little easier w/ less choices about what to wear. Hope that helps give you a different perspective on the issue.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't have a problem with school dress codes. There are many rules in life and there is nothing wrong with students learning to follow the rules in school. In the workplace and in every day life, there will be rules that people disagree with or that they feel are arbitrary or unnecessary. They'll still need to be able to comply.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I understand that "they have to follow a dress code in the real world" attitude, but NO, THEY DON'T... In the real world YOU choose where you work, YOU choose how you dress and YOU choose what life to lead... IF you work for a place that doesn't allow your hair to be pink, you have the option to find a new job - I did. You have the option to start your own company or business - again, I did. You have all the options as an adult whether or not YOU CHOOSE to look the way you want to. In fact, you have the option to be lewd, obscene or disgusting if you want to as well... As a student, you don't get to choose where you go to school usually, your parents do... So if they are okay with how you look, why should your school find reason to limit it?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• By the way, some school restrict colors because they are colors associated with area gangs.

I know that, that's why I added the "dangerous" part. Because I understand that wearing some colors can align you with gangs or other groups.

Like I said, I can understand needing SOME limits simply to keep everyone safe and protected. But how many rings I have on my hand, in NO WAY affects my education or the education of others around me - so what's the point in limiting it?

And again, I didn't mean this for schools which have uniforms or private schools, obviously that's going to be different. We have a school here though that as announced that as of December everyone is required to wear school colors ONLY - Black and Red... Seriously? If you want to go that far, do uniforms...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Honestly, I can understand not allowing certain gang colors (especially in larger cities), or shirts with lewd sayings on them, but that's where I think I'd draw the line. Clothes, hair, jewelry are a way of expressing your personality, I wouldn't want to suppress that.

Except for those damn pants hanging down by the knees boys seem to like so much... Those irritate the HELL out of me, so they can ban those, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'm all for school uniforms personally.

I guess I am lucky the weirdest school dress code issue we have is girls can wear sleeveless shirts 2 inches wide but boys have to have a t-shirt under sleeveless shirts including jerseys...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Right - in the real world, if you choose to wear your hair pink and your job doesn't allow it you can go elsewhere. True. This, of course, can greatly limit one's options and one's earning potential, but you absolutely have that right.

And in schooling, you have this right as well. If you do not wish to abide by a dress code, you can choose to homeschool. If your parents will not homeschool, you abide by the rules of the school you attend.

I am all for school dress codes. In fact, I wish they would enforce them more stringently. I get quite tired of seeing girls look more suited to street-walking than school, and boys showing their underwear when I'm at my children's events.

And what is it about "underwear" that is so difficult to understand. It's UNDER wear. It's supposed to be worn UNDER something. And that low-riding pant thing? Really, it only makes it look like all the young man has a load in his pants.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 9:30 AM on Sep. 25, 2010