homework

here's another question about my 4 year old son. He started pre k a month ago and his teacher has started sending homework to help him learn to write him letters. My husband and I have been sitting down with him after dinner at out kitchen table and it's really becoming a hassle. Travis doesn't want to listen. He gets distracted easily, or for example last night we were working on writing big "A" he won't do it unless I hold his hand or when I ask him to do it on his own he says he needs to think. lol I know he's only 4 but my goodness. Any advice or suggestions to make this easier and more fun??

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 5:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That is RIDICULOUS! A 4yo having to learn how to write? Having to do homework? That is a bit much.. What is required for your child to get into Kindergarten? I think I would look into that & see if knowing how to write is a prerequisite ...
    I think Id have a meeting with the Prek or something ... Homework should only be there to help the parents feel more invovled & the kids to share their fun/new "tricks" to parents. KWIM?
    What happens if he does not do his homework?
    The precious time we spend with our kids (especially if they are in the care of others all day) is very special & that small amount of time should not be spent forcing a child to learn, but bonding time.. Childhood is about enjoying being a kid! Not being forced to learn .. Learning should be fun/enjoyable at this age- not forced! How is he going to feel about school by the time he is a 3rd grader?! Kids learn plenty at this age through play!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I agree that this is awfully young to be worrying about writing letters. You could help him with recognition maybe with letter magnets etc, but writing them is another story.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I actually asked for some homework to be sent home. His teachers think it would be great for him. Also, I think homework is great for him too because then he will get used to doing it. In my opinion he needs to learn to write his name and know his letters. He can say his ABC's, knows all his colors, can count to 20, and knows his shapes. Nothing happens if he doesnt do his homework. It's more for his benefit.
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• 4 is not too young to learn his letters. But it has to be fun. At that age it is so important that they not be turned off with learning and homework.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Could you get anything fun to use like a mini chalk board, wipe off board or use shaving cream. (spray it on the table or on a cookie sheet and he can 'write' in it.)
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• if its something YOU are wanting to do.. You must make it FUN.. and if possible make him interested in it... Start by a "dot-to-dot" book... that make fishes, character shapes.. (that will help with finger control & help with abc/123 .. Then start making your own Dot-2-dots that form letters.. Look into the "Montessori" way of teaching letters...

My daughter learned how to write her letters a lil after her 3rd bday, but its because for whatever reason it interested her.. My bff her boys are 4.5 and are not interested in writing & are not doing so yet.. thats OK.. really i dont know many boys interested in writing-ever! lol.. dh would b happy to never write again i think!

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't get the mom's saying 4 is too young for writing letters. That is a PERFECT age to start- and will put one at an advantage for K. My 4 yo does the same in her pre school program.

I'd also suggest using the dotted pattern and having your son trace the letters. The mini white boards would also make this skill fun, for kids love using marker. FYI- You can print reproducibles for free at http://www.starfall.com/. They have an activity sheet for each letter of the alphabet there.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:41 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Writing his name and letters is developmentally appropriately at 4. Can you get special markers, crayons, etc. to do his homework with? Keep them in a special "homework box" and reward him with stickers, etc. when he does it!
    MommaNoonoo

Answer by MommaNoonoo at 12:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Use dots.

Spend a few minutes and write the alphabet using dots, then let him fill in the dots.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 7:02 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My son learned the same thing in his 4 year old preschool class. And my daughter is now in that class. They have a homework paper for the letter they are learning that week ~ but only 1 a week. And it is simply tracing the letter a few times. I would talk to his teacher and just explain what he is doing at home. I would think it should not be a big deal if he does his "homework" paper at school with them.. But, I would also look into having him start doing it at home too. Maybe he is just being strong willed. You don't want to force him and punish him for it or he will never want to do homework ~ and he has about 13 more years of it coming!!! And, yes ~ they do need to know alot before going to kindergarten these days. I can't believe they come out of K reading now!!
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 8:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2010