how do i get my 6 mo old to take the spoon?

i have tried thick, thin, warm, cold, yougurt, cereal, fruts, vegtables, mixing them and separate, and he just cries and spits it out. he took the jar and was trying to "drink from the jar" so i know he likes it but he wont use the spoon. my sister ended up puting it in a bottle and he took it fine so i know he likes the food. also i know he is ready because he is of ten trying to take my food if he can reach it. i gave him bread last night and he loved it but still no spoon. so how can i get him to take the spoon? i am not in agreement with my sister about just putting it in a bottle.

allforthelove

Asked by allforthelove at 5:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's no reason to make him eat off a spoon. My second was 7.5 months before she got any solids, and she would not let anyone feed her from a spoon. So we just gave her appropriate table foods that she could pick up and put in her mouth herself. It made everyone's life much easier. :)

Oh, and she's 17 months now and will eat from a spoon with no problems, like if I'm sharing some yogurt or something with her. And she even tries to use it herself. So this has no bearing on whether he'll always have problems with a spoon. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If he's refusing the spoon he is NOT ready for solids. He's drinking it from a bottle because he knows the bottle and thinks he's getting formula or breastmilk, and he knows it's filling his tummy. Do NOT put baby food in a bottle! Stop trying to force the spoon on him, keep giving him the bottles of formula or bm, and hold off on solids for another month or so. He's obviously NOT ready for ANY of it - and trying so many different things isn't good for his system, and his system can't handle bread yet!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Doesn't matter if he "likes" it or not, he's not developmentally ready. When he can sit by himself, pick things up, put them in his mouth and chew them, he's ready. No need for a spoon, but he WILL need to chew.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Liking food doesn't equal readiness. He doesn't HAVE to have anything but formula/breastmilk. Food before one is only for fun. Wait until he can sit up and pick up soft chunks and chew them. You can skip liquid junk. If he needs it liquidy and can't chew, he isn't ready to eat.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'm glad to hear that you don't want to put it in the bottle. In my opinion, that is not the way to go. I am not a doctor or a nurse. Let your child do what is comfortable for them. They are only 6 months old. Don't make them grow up overnight. Just let him grow up at his own pace. If your still concerned about this at the next doctor's appt., then ask the doctor. Hope this helps.

Karyn
    akamomof275847

Answer by akamomof275847 at 6:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Play with it. Pretend it's a ship/train anything yu can come up with.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• my little ones were never the slightest bit interested in food until they were 9 or 10mo. i still tried once a day or so but i didn't stress about it. by the time they were 1yr they were eating fruits and veggies like champs.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 5:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Just keep trying. If he takes it, he takes it. If not then it isn't a big deal. He doesn't need baby food.  We barely gave any to our now 4yo.  She basically went from all formula to self feeding at 7 1/2 months.  We only did baby food once in awhile between 5-7 months and by 9 months she was completely off of it and only eating table food (which she would feed to herself).  And her bottles.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It does sound like he's not really ready. Best way, though? Sit him in high chair with food and utensils. Prepare for mess. Let baby teach himself.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2010