Is it wrong to question faith when your child is very ill?

My son has been in and out of children hospitals for the past 3 months for several different problems. Infectious disease specialists, pediatric urologists, drs in other states. I just can't help but start to feel we are being over looked and my son is being put through to much!

lasombrs

Asked by lasombrs at 5:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally.

I don't think it's "wrong".. I think that many a parent in your situation would also question. I think it would be a normal response for many. Many faiths teach that God is the reason for everything and everything has it's reason. If a person believes such as that. It would be difficult, I would think, to not question in such a situation.

So, I don't think you are "wrong" or are losing your faith or anything of the sorts by questioning in this situation.

Be strong. Maintain Hope. And , hang in there the best you can!!

Wishing you and yours all the best in this situation :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Totally understandable. I wish you all the best and will have you in my thoughts.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I know if I tell you God does test us from time to time, or doesnt give us more than we can handle, it wont make a difference, b/c you want you child to be well -like yesterday! Keep your faith- ask for God to guide the Dr.'s to find a way to make your child well. Ask HIm for more strength to help your child fight whatever this is, and for strength to help you thru this ordeal too. When my son was in the hosp. for 2 wks, in & out of PICU, I never questioned why him- I just prayed for him to get well, and to keep me strong to be by his side & to take care of him when he got to come home. A visit from your minister/priest may be helpful. Add you child to a prayer chain too. Good luck to you all.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• questioning faith is part of being human. be there for your son, that's most important
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would feel the same way - I am SO sorry you are going through this.. *hugs * and best wishes to your son!!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No it's not wrong nor is it unusual IMO. When I hear of little ones being sick or abused I question God and how this can be happening. I am a christian woman, but you bet I have my days that I wonder if God is seeing all the things going on down here.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would have to say it's not wrong to question your faith regardless of your child's health. That said, I'm sorry to hear you're going through something like this, focus on your son and worry about your faith later... One more stresser isn't needed!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No, questioning ones beliefs when they are greatly challenged is a normal human response, no matter what your faith is. And there is no greater challenge than the feelings of helplessness & fear that can be very overwhelming when you have a child that is ill & in the hospital. If you can, and it is a part of your faith, talk to a religious leader about your feelings. If prayer is a part of your tradition, talking & praying w/your spouse may help, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:14 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• it prefectly normal to question your faith..JOB did this in the bible..sorri to hear your lil man has been in an out of hospital so much..i have 4 special needs children so i have been in ICU,Quartines,psych wards.u name it i prolly be there with...an i questioned GOD on y.i think it taught me more compasion an less judgemental of others...there only on loan from GOD to u..but dont get discouraged bout it..every thing he does to us has a purpose an a reason behind...gl
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It's not wrong at all. I think pretty much everyone in a situation like that questions their faith at some point. I really hope things get better for you and your child.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2010