I think my son just had his first nightmare!! =(

He is 19 months old and he woke up from his nap hysterical! He finally calmed down but would not let me put him down for 20 minutes. Any time I'd try he'd scream and cling to me and lay his head on my shoulder. I have never seen him like this. My poor little man. Should I be worried at all or does it just sound like a bad dream?

jenae_gist

Asked by jenae_gist at 5:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• myself and my dh have been constantly battling this with our now 11m ds since he was about 3m old. it breaks my heart to hear him whimper or cry out like that in the middle of a sound sleep. it's been getting worse lately. i think it's because he's been falling down a lot due to recently learning how to climb (aka fall) and cruise. we talked to the pedi and he said that there really is nothing we can do besides loving him and comforting him when he goes through them. at first i tried nursing him (first thing to try) and he would just take like a binky. then when he would calm down in my dh's arms, we figured it out. good luck mama. just a shot in the dark... my lil sis growing up had a sensitivity to caffeine, made her have nightmares. maybe it's something like acid reflux or such that could be looked into.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 3:47 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• oooh.. poor little guy, I am sure it was just a bad dream.. my son has had many but usually only in the middle of the night - he probably was very tired and slept very hard and just had a bad dream - just love him to pieces
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I had horrid nightmares when I was young... its normal for some kids
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• oh sorri lil man has a nightmare..but its normal for them to have them..its probly not his 1st he probly got them as an infant u just didnt realize it cause he was younger then..gl
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I had a nurse tell me once that infants can't dream - they have no experiences to make them happy or sad/scared. She apparently was having a bad day and wanted to make others miserable and sad too....mean ol hag!! lol

Anyway - my (now) 2 year old had a bad dream a while back too, but it was at night. I have no idea what he was afraid of,but he woke up sooo scared!! On the flip side, he talks in his sleep ALL the time - and has for quite a while. He calls out "mama!" all the time - it is quite funny. The first couple times I thought he was calling FOR me, but then realized he was talking. I always wonder what they dream about.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Thanks everyone. It worries me because his dad had horrible night terrors when he was young. I wonder if that is hereditary at all.
    jenae_gist

Comment by jenae_gist (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010