Big toe,injury,will she need stitches?

Right above her Big toe,toe nail she got a cut.The skin is peeled back and bleeding.It's not a real big cut,maybe the size of a pea cut in half or smaller.We washed it and put a band aid on it.What to do in this situation?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 10:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Health

• I was told by an ER doctor that if you squeeze the cut and it keeps it's shape, you don't need stiches. If you squeeze it and it opens up and looses it's shape then it is most likely you need stitches.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 11:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Also, I heard that if the stitches are not put in, within the first couple of hours, they can't do it at all.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 11:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• This is a small cut,do you think a small cut doesn't need stitches?
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 11:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• What happens if a cut that needs stitches doesn't get them?
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 11:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• It should heal ok just keep an eye on it. In our ER they would prob just use a super glue type stuff instede of stiches. Has the bleeding stopped? That would be my biggest concern is if the bleeding dont stop. Im not sure what happens if it needs stiches and you don't get them, I would guess that it would leave a bigger scar, but since it's a small cut it should be fine
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• It wasn't bleeding that bad.We put a band aid on it right away so I don't know if it's still bleeding.Is it true a band aid stops a cut from bleeding or do you think it still bleeds?I would think a really bad cut would keep bleeding.So far her band aid isn't soaked in blood so it must beo.k.?We ran out of band aids and had to get some from a emergency pak under the car seat.With kids,having band aids and neosporin on hand is like making sure you have toilet paper in the house.You never know when you'll have a accident so you got to be ready.We use ablue colored ouchless peroxide that says it's ouchless,but it still stings..just a note.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 12:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2008