Sin and Christians

I see a lot about sins, and all of us being sinners, I have also seen Christians say that they sin every day and need forgiven, that they are not perfect. Well, I look at my life and I see I have made a few mistakes in the past, but nothing I would consider a “sin” (and I know it is disobaying God etc., but Id like examples of specific things) and not to sound full of myself or whatever, but I most certainly do not sin everyday or anything like that…so I always wonder what is it that Christians consider sins and what is it that a person, who claims to be a saved Christian, would do everyday that is a sin? The people I have seen say this are “good Christians” too so it’s not like they are getting drunk or having sex while not being married (they are married) etc. I just don’t understand it. What is a “sin”

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• oh boy..... I am an out of the box Christian and do not believe as Christians we are sinners or imperfect. How is that even possible when Christ took it all on the Cross... why are so many Christians still stuck in the I am a sinner and I am imperfect mindset... the bible DOES NOT say that. If this was the case then what affect did the Cross ever have.
    It would take me too long to type it out but I highly recommend 2 books The Happy Gospel by Benjamin Dunn and The Supernatural ways of Royalty by Kris Vallotton and Bill Johnson. Both books tell who we are in Christ and why we are not to be in the mindset of thinking we are still sinners and imperfect.
    What is SIN.. anything that is against God. Disobedience is considered sin... it is rebellion toward God. Sin separates us from God. When we sin it affects our personal relationship with Jesus. Sin opens the door to the enemy and his nasty ways. If we allow sin CONT.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Many things are "sins" doesnt mean ur going to hell though... taken God's name in vein is a sin... vanity is a sin, disrespecting ur spouse is a sin, getting drunk or using any mood altering chemical is a sin, hurting someones feelings is a sin, stealing is a sin, being intentionally vindictive is a sin, lying is a sin (even white lies) So no we are not perfect... and most people sin on a daily basis... its just really the severity of the sin ya know
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• to continue, we allow the enemy a foothold into our lives and that causes an even greater divide between the person who sins and Jesus. Forgiveness tears down that divide and enables us to full engage in a deeper relationship with Jesus. There is another book. The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind by Bill Johnson I actually recommend a lot of his books because the way he thinks is so out of the box yet so in line with the word of God. He speaks with authority yet full of grace and love. Anyway these are my thoughts. I do not necessarily expect anyone to agree :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• momma is right... the only sin that is unforgivable is denying God and who He is.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Just out of curiosity, how is getting drunk a sin when everyone in the bible was drinking wine all the time.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• it says the drunk shall not inherit the kingdom of God. to be clear, having a drink is ok, but not getting drunk. most of us just decide to stay away from the drinking so the temptation doesn't have a way of getting there.

We are born into sin, therefore we are sinful even from birth. we see "little" sins and " big" sins. but in God's eyes a sin is a sin. someone may have told a little white lie to someone, while the person next to them cheated on their spouse. in God's eyes, their sin is equal. we are human, so we think ones' not as big a deal as the other.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Everyone sins, everyday..lol. Lying, having bad feelings toward someone, breaking the law ie..speeding...lusting, unjust anger, etc. Just because you haven't murdered anyone today doesn't mean you haven't sinned today.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The bible says not to be drunk with wine, BTW. It also talks about staying away from strong drink because it makes fools out of you.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• have you ever lied? did you know that calling someone a mean name or saying hurtful words to them is considered murdering their soul, and a sin? ever made a promise you didn't keep? think a thought you know wasn't appropriate? ever in your life slept with someone you WEREN'T married to? do you talk only about what you feel like talking/thinkin about, instead of God and His word? i can say yes to all these things, and yes I am a Christian. I'm a sinner. Born a sinner, still a sinner. All i can do is pray for forgiveness, and try my best.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Some ways in which we can sin every day include the sins of presumption or despair, indifference, ingratitude, spiritual sloth and superstition; neglecting church on Sunday without a sufficiently serious reason; losing patience with others and not caring for our children the way God would will; contributing directly, materially or counseling in favor of abortion, euthanasia, or suicide of another; lusting after another, masturbating or viewing pornography; cheating our employer of the labor that is due or neglecting to pay our employees their rightful wages, and failing to pay the debt you owe; being overly concerned with accumulating money, possessions, or other material possessions; etc.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010