practical nurse or cna?

I'm Trying to decide which one to do any suggestions

Heidikans

Asked by Heidikans at 5:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• CNA's are the lowest form of nursing. Go to scool for a LPN or RN

Answer by louise2 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• nurse by far.... CNA's are the ones that have to clean up after all the poo and make the least amount of money... I'm going to be a L&D nurse
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Go nurse.

CNA's are the bottom of the totem pole, they literally get the shit work.. I have a friend who believe it or not, was a CNA for 20 years. The job, physically became too much for her when she hit her mid 40's.............. The pay scale, definitely is not worthy of the job that CNA's actually do.. CNA's are the backbone that keep many facilities running, and patients alive, well and taken care of.. They aren't paid or treated what they are worth how how they should be.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• CNA's barely make more than minimum wage here. At minimum go LVN-LPN. If you are considering RN go for a BSN..don't go ADN . My sister is a nurse as well. She got her LVN then went back to school about 4 yrs later and got her BSN . I've been a nurse for 15 yrs and I love it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have been a CNA and a student LVN. Let me tell you there is a difference. A CNA, you do all of the dirty work. I'm not saying that you don't get to know the patients, you do. However, the LVN ( it is LVN) where I come from, you may do some dirty work, but not as much as the CNA. If I were you, I would go LVN and then when possible, go for RN.

Karyn
    akamomof275847

Answer by akamomof275847 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• LPN pays better, with more responsibility. Most of our doctors' offices have LPNs plus there is always a demand at the hospitals. CNAs do all the clean up, etc. What you spend on training will more than be made up by the money you will be able to make.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• There is always medical assistant training too.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• If you have career ambitions. I'd go with practical nurse.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Licensed practical nurse is better than a cna, any day of the week. Better pay, and you don't have to change diapers and give them showers! Pretty much all you do is give meds and do wound care. It;s a breeze, I speak from experience.
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Half of my friends are RN's or Accountants. My husband and I were both CNA's. What they're saying is right. Plus there is no 401K or retirement benefits. However, you can count on bad knees, back, and a lot of pain long after you retire! Being an RN opens a lot more doors and salary! RIght now Nurses are in such demand, in Phoenix, AZ you can start off at $35 to 40+ an hour. As one friend put it, you will never have to worry about being out of work! She started a private home for vent patients. She's had the same four patients since 1999. She makes so much money that she's always taking trips, cruises, buying land, and still gives those guys the top of the line care! I mean, they eat steak and shrimp, ribs, etc... She takes them out to Football games, movies, and rock concerts. But she started working in the hospital / nursing home. She's in her 70's going strong! Oh, a CNA works for her! LOL
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 5:20 AM on Sep. 26, 2010