What curriculum are you using? (homeschooling question)

HeatherReneeB

Asked by HeatherReneeB at 5:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in

• My kids are in high school now so I have them on a virtual school. Before that there is a mennonite program which is very intensive but incredible its called Rod and Staff. The teacher manual actually says what to say to the child! I have also used saxon for math.
    vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 6:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Abeka Academy DVD program. I have kids in 5th, 7th, and 8th grades. I chose this program because it is accredited and they will get a diploma and transcript from the Academy when they've completed the requirements for high school.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We don't use a curriculum at all. We are strictly unschooling, and loving every minute of it!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We are using A BEKA right now(K5). Next year we will be using ABEKA for the core subjects. I am still looking for Science, History/Geography, and Social Studies though. I do not like how A BEKA presents some things in the higher grades. My DH also has a degree in Biology, so we are looking for a bit more in a science curriculum.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 9:35 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• we don't do school in a box.

we use mostly ALEKS.com for math, and IXL.com as a scope and sequence resource, and for review.

I found a fantastic grammar program that only takes about 10 minutes a day, Daily Grammar Practice. he's working at fourth grade level and diagramming sentences. I use various sources for literature studies. reading is covered by his personal love of reading, and what we read for other subjects (he's an excellent reader far ahead of his age group, so there's no need for phonics anymore) he learns spelling on the fly in his writing. I correct him when needed)

I use a variety of resources for history, incorporating geography, world religions, and social studies.
    as for science, we have an online class, lots of books, and he also takes a science class for homeschoolers.

for P.E. he's done soccer, irish dance, swimming and martial arts, and we're looking into tumbling or fencing next.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2010