Colic and Probiotics???

Hi there.
My 5 week old son Anthony as severe colic. I have taken him to the doctor, and they simply tell me to hang in there, that it normally clears up at around 3 months. So.......Im trying to find something.....anything.....that will help him (and myself) even if just a little. In doing some computer research I found something on probiotics, Biogaia, that it may help with colic. Has anyone ever heard of this, or used it for that matter????

HELP!!!

honeybear1208

Asked by honeybear1208 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No I don't think you should use probiotics for your baby. I have had countless people tell me that gripe water really does work. I too tried it and it helped my son but....... his problem didn't end up being colic. He had acid reflux that caused his colic. You can get it online or at Walgreens and it's called Baby Bliss in the baby section. Good luck!
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 11:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• a lot of times, babies get diagnosed with colic when it's really acid reflux. My first, they told me it was colic. baby #3 acted just like him and she was diagnosed with reflux.

I hate the diagnosis of colic! I feel it's just a cop out answer for a fussy baby when the doc doesn't want to determine the real reason.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• probiotics, as wonderful as they are, generally are not recommended for under 6 months of age. gripe water as mentioned in an earlier post may be helpful. sometimes colic is due to a baby having a sensitive nervous system. when i help families with a colicky baby, i sit and rock the baby in a quiet room, facing a blank wall, swaddled, held close, lack of stimuli. i know it's hard, but remembering that i was a colicky baby and my mom and grandma helped me through it gives me some comfort and incentive to remain calm! maybe try to get a relative or friend to come over once or twice a week during those fussy periods so you get a break.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My son had reflux(as told by his doctor) and he was VERY fussy as a newborn. He's 4 months old and as happy as can be. I know it's frustrating but it will pass.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• try gripewater for colic. its like 10 or 11 bucks at walgreens.
    xkrystals.momx

Answer by xkrystals.momx at 11:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• gripe water does really work and so does hylands colic tablets.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:01 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• The only thing that worked for us was chamomile tea and infant massage.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:37 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i used probiotics, colic tabs, and gripe water plus reflux meds. they all helped. do whatever u can to make ur baby comfortable.
    smzuzu

Answer by smzuzu at 12:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• my son had what my mom thought was colic, but what i thought it was, and turned out to be was reflux.. when you feed him, keep him inclined. WHen you burp him, keep him up at a 30 degree angle, or in his carseat, so that the fluid stays down.. my son finally grew out of this phase at about 4-5 weeks, and started sleeping in his crib, also, at about 6 weeks, they learn to bear down, instead of spontaneous poops, they are actually learning to do so. It all is the same time frame and can be stressful, on both mom and baby. Gripe water helps, i have heard, but we never got to that point.. our son slept in his car seat til he was 4-5 weeks, and then it went away...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2008