Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How do I help my son file his important papers?

Or do I? He's 19, is living at home, and is attending the local community college. Should I give him a crash course on filing or just let him manage his paperwork which is to do nothing. Some of the really important paperwork I have on file for him.


Asked by zboys at 5:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 19 (7,074 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Purchase him a simple filing system, either a filing cabinet, a "milk crate" or an accordion folder, but let HIM figure out what to do with it. My oldest sons are almost 21 yrs old and they file their own paperwork in what they asked for....for one child it is a 2 door filing cabinet, for the other child it is an accordion folder.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • I would explain to him how to do it but let him do most of it on his own. He's an adult he needs to grow up and learn how to manage things on his own.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • Me..

    I would give him a crash course then tell him he now has to go and take care of business.

    He's a grown man. He has to learn how to do these things, and start doing them for himself at some point and time.

    Like I've always told my son...... "Mom isn't always going to be around to do these things for you. You need to know how, and you need to begin doing them on your own".........


    Answer by pixie_trix at 5:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • Papers such as what? Birth certificate and such? Keep them for him for now. I can't think of an occasion where he might need something like that anytime soon. Military, college??

    Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • My 19 y/o son still lives at home & attends college too. I help him w/ his taxes, banking (ie check writing) and had to help him w/ legal docs when he had to be executor of his dad's estate. It's alot for kids to absorb & they dont teach all of this in school. Some life lessons have to be taught by us. It's okay to help- but some agencies wont talk to us w/out their permission. Once they get the hang of it, then our job is done. (Well, we're never really done- but you know what I mean)

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • My daughter is 20 and in College I helped her set up a file for school and a bank account. Just because our children are young adults doesn't mean they don't need our help ever so often. Help him figure it out. It doesn't hurt anything. He will be a more productive young adult and more successful if he is organized. My daughter even cleans out her file yearly. I taught her the papers that need to be saved and those that do not. I'm a Professional Organizer and I teach many adults who were never taught by mom or dad how to file and organize paperwork and finances. It's sad. I'm a huge supporter in parent involvement even after high school.

    Answer by lioness3e at 8:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • There is no harm in helping your son, at 19, he isn't a legal adult in our state (Calif.) I agree with lioness3e - why not assist with whatever paperwork is required for the task at hand.

    Answer by tasches at 8:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

  • Show him.

    Answer by mp3mom at 1:25 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

  • I would show him how to do it, and then let him handle it from there. Tell him that if he has trouble, he can ask for help but that he's grown and should be independent. But yeah, I'd definitely at least show him how to do it first. :)

    Answer by WomanWitty at 12:43 AM on Oct. 11, 2010