Sharp pain when checking cervix

I might be pregnant but I wont find out until next week, and if I am I'm only about 4 weeks along. My last child was born three years ago. When I was pregnant with her I would get a lot of round ligament pain in the later months. Ever since her birth I still get those pains every once in a while. Is that normal? Will that affect my next pregnancy? A few minutes ago I was trying to check my cervix, which I do daily while TTC. For some reason I was seized with a tremendous pain in my lower uterus when I did this. It felt like round ligament pain, but I worry about miscarriage (if I'm even pregnant). Any insight?

Mama2JoshKatie

Asked by Mama2JoshKatie at 5:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Why exactly are you checking your cervix? I think that stuff should be left up to the professionals.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 6:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Just checking the position of it to keep track of its changes while I'm TTC. It helps me know when I'm ovulating and I also wanted to see if there were any changes which could indicate I am pregnant. I throughly wash my hands first and it only takes a few seconds to check.
    Mama2JoshKatie

Comment by Mama2JoshKatie (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If you're really 4 weeks pregnant you can pee on a stick now - you'd have missed a period already by 2 weeks and you'd be ovulating now if you weren't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No I might be around 4 weeks according to the date of my last period. Nearly two weeks since conception. I'm going to test on Monday. I posted this question because I'm concerned about having these pains now and about how they might affect me later in pregnancy.
    Mama2JoshKatie

Comment by Mama2JoshKatie (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• 4 weeks pregnant means she might have conceived 2 weeks ago ~ish... It is normal to check your own cervix/cervical fluid, temperature, etc., if you are trying to conceive.

Since you know your body, would usually stop if you're starting to hurt, have been doing this for a while, it's a little surprising to hear of this pain...
    I don't know that it could affect miscarriage, though. Seems unlikely.
    I don't know about the RL pain question. I do have sciatica still (here & there), years postpartum, that I got in my 2nd pregnancy (BAD).

Good luck with everything!
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2010